Frontman 15R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Fender: Frontman 15R

Purchased from: eBay

I have tried 3 guitars with this amp: a Jackson RR3, an Ibanez GIO and a Squier Strat. They all sounds not so bad on clean channel, but, trust me, never use the built-in distortion. Buy another pedal, I suggest DigiTech Metal Master. I play mostly Metal, so I use the pedal 70% of the times and 30% the clean channel. Never tried this amp at very high volumes, so I don't know what happens with clean channel. I know only that there are LOTS of buzz and feedbacks, even at low volumes.

I play Metal, and, no, this is not a good match. Worst distortion ever, so, don't buy it if you like distortion (or just buy a good pedal). If it will get stolen or lost, I will not buy another one: there are many better practice amp, choose carefully. However if you are a blues/jazz beginner and don't want to spend a lot of money you can buy it and use the clean channel.

"Would you use it on a gig without a backup?" well, no, but not because it's easy to broke, simply because it has a crap sound! Good for practice, but definitely not for playing Live or recording. However it's a tank, never broken and I own it since a year and a half. Except for the sound, I have never had any problem.

This amp is a simple one. It has a clean and a distorted channel and a few controls: volume, high, mid, basses, gain and reverb. Clean channel is ok, distorted one is pure crap. I never use it, I bought a DigiTech Metal Master (it rocks! ). I never use the crap reverb too, only the clean channel (wich isn't very good but even not so bad). This is a practice amp, I use it in my room, but's VERY loud for a 15W, I NEVER turn the amp volume above 2 and the guitar volume above 5! You can even play in small pubs or bars with this (crap sound, but good volume).

The_lizard_king
    edtillimdead wrote: Horrible, Horrible, Bad, Rubbish, useless. I use mine as a nightstand. Only use i have for it. Terrible tone, rubbish distortion. Inspires me to put down my guitar rather than pick it up.
    I used mine as a night stand
    Metallica1989 wrote: this amp sux hard. i had one and i swear it was pretty hard to sell it because most of the guys who were interested in it, came over my house to try it first and they said the tone sucked. Had to sell it for 40 bucks and i had to brainwash the guy.
    I sold mine for 60 to some unexpecting kid. The cleans were ok, the gain not so much. Not bad for a first amp.
    Grizzlyman2191
    ok first off this isnt that bad of an amp. its just a practice amp, not for gigging. i love the clean tone. i never use the distortion but when i do theres no problems with it. the only problem i ever have with it is when i turn it up past 3 on distortion i get some nasty feedback. other than that a great practice amp
    Palver
    You guys are expecting to get a professional amp for this price? You're crazy then! It is good for a practice amp and with the Reverb a bluesy sound can be attained. Not to mention the volume (for 15W it's pretty loud)). I admit though the distortion is a bit 'crunchy'. However, you cannot go wrong with a Fender.
    Seether.Kurt
    *sigh* has anyone ever told some of you how hard it is to find good unbiased reviews on any model of a practice amp? It's quite discouraging actually
    Gravedigg154
    The tone is actually quite terrible, but it costs $100 so that is practically a guarantee, you get what you pay for.
    totallybonkers
    PEOPLE EXPECT WAY TOO MUCH FOR VERY LITTLE. IT'S A PRACTICE AMP. A VERY INEXPENSIVE PRACTICE AMP. IT WILL AMPLIFY YOUR GUITAR(ACTUALLY VERY LOUD) THERE IS REVERB, A HEADPHONE JACK, ETC. IT'S UNREALISTIC TO EXPECT A $100.00 AMP TO SOUND LIKE A $600.00 AMP? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.