Frontman 212R 100W review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 212R 100W

Purchased from: GAK

This amp will suit any types of music you play, at any venue. I have used it a few small gigs, but the venues are all decent sizes and I have never had to turn the volume up to beyond 3. Which is perfect. I mainly play a Yamaha Pacifica, which I wouldn't change for the world and it sounds brilliant with this amp. The clean channels sound perfect on both the bridge pick-up and the humbucker, you get a really warm feel with the bridge pick up! I also have a Stagg Les-Paul style guitar which I use rarely but it sounds brilliantly warm with the clean settings on the amp. It makes any guitar sound beautiful! Also the reverb on the amp is brilliant, no need for any reverb pedals. As for distortion and brutality? I guess I am yet to find out how 'brutal' it really is.

My overall impression on this amp is that it is wonderful, I don't think I'll ever require another one. I love the clean and the distortion channels and very much doubt I require any clean or distortion pedals. I play this amp with a DigiTech RP80 which I only really use for tuning but I occasionally use the delay at home whilst practicing, the amp has no problem with this effects at all but I haven't really used any separate pedals or a pedalboard so I'm not 100% sure on that one. If this amp was lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again, everyday.

Firstly, this amp is extremely heavy. Which is a good thing, I don't think it could ever break! It has a bomb-proof solid feel about it which is great. The only thing about the durability is that you may need to have a cover for the front of the amp as it could get kicked in if you are playing at a particularly violent gig. As for reliability, my amp is 100% totally reliable, like a dog really, a really heavy dog that makes beautiful music.

This amp is perfect for any styles of playing. Blues, Indie, Rock, Jazz Funk Fusion? I play mainly Indie but occasionally stray as far as some other genres and this amps suits them all perfectly well. For a start there is the Fender clean channel, which is perfect. The sound is beautiful and suits any type of clean music, I play a Yamaha Pacifica mainly which yeah, is a pretty un-cool guitar but I love it and it sounds stunning with this amp. The distortions channels or the 'drive' and 'more drive' channels are perfect for any style of playing from Kings of Leon style stadium rock to Arctic Monkeys indie. The Mid Contour button allows you to change from stadium rock distortion and creates a much more modern style tone. I have used this amp at a few small gigs at small venues and it has lived up to them perfectly well, its performance hasn't changed at all. There is no issue as to the quality of the amp, I think it may be bomb proof!

yimyah
    For all the people saying the tone's rubbish without good effects. Maybe the tone's rubbish because it is without a good player. Also, surely whether a tone is good or not is entirely based upon personal preference.
    Roegster
    Wow, what a bunch of snobby bastards. When I bought a brand new Fender amp for $299, and it kicks ass as well as this amp, I'm in heaven. Most of my professional career I played 100 watt Marshall's through 4-12 cabs. As I grew older and more proficient, I was able to coax very nice tones with my Strat armed with noiseless pick-ups. And I have received rave reviews about my tone, with a Digitech RP-1. So for all you tube purists, rock on.
    Slashsmurf
    for someone without tons of money to blow on a tube this is great i've used it live countless times and its never let me down . sounds great with my guitar and effects and for people who simply can't afford something more expensive i would definitely recommend this
    Stormymonday
    To rv_phoenix and the others reading these blogs about the Fender Frontman 212 amp..OOPS, I made a mistake about this amp..I was thinking that it was the same amp as the old 212 chorus..which was not too good(in my opinion)had one,did not hold up! My silver face twin reverbs transformer went out prior to a gig we had,so I took it to my tech,and got a loner amp for the lob that night..it was the Frontman 212..I take back what I posted prior about this amp..got it confused with another by the same company. If you try it,you"ll buy it..good amp for $300..I bought it! The only thing it lacks is a aux.speaker input.. otherwise its a good buy for a solid state amp!
    iraqibulldog
    sounds like crap unless you hook up a pedal to it ive had mine since last january and ive got it sounding pretty good but am looking to get a different amp because i play metal and it sounds like butt when i play even with a pedal but thats just me