Frontman 212R 100W review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Fender: Frontman 212R 100W

Purchased from: inheritance

Not sure when it was made. I inherited it when my ex died and she forgot to change her trust, leaving everything to me.

Good: It is loud. The clean channel is very clean. I have Strats and Teles that are noisy on everything, but almost whisper quiet on this. Probably because it is solid state. Great for clean playing, which I have drifted towards as I have gotten older. You do need to roll off some treble on single coil guitars or it tends to get harsh and brittle sounding. Hook up a couple of delay pedals and you can get some great Hank Marvin like tones.

Bad: The overdrive channel is basically useless. Too harsh and muddy. I don't care. My Mesa and my Orange are what I use when playing my Ibbys anyway.

All in all, a decent clean amp, even at reatil price.

It works well for all clean playing. So far I have used a couple of Boss delay pedals. The amp is whisper quiet. With humbuckers you can go full on the tone. With single coils, roll it off to at least 6 or so. Sounds great with my Cabronita Telecaster. Sounds really harsh with my Esquire except in position one.

It seems really solidly built. I would use it at home and maybe for recording. Might even try an electric synthesizer through it. For gigging I would stick with my JC120 for clean sounds just because I know how reliable it has been. Maybe as a backup, but if I started gigging a lot again I would probably get a second JC120 instead.

I play everything from Brad Paisley type country to Joe Satriani type instrumental. This amp is great for clean playing. Useless for metal or even harder rock. Some of Jonny Lang's stuff like "Breakin' Me" or "Goodbye Letter" is about as hard I would feel comfortable trusting it with. Anything harder would push it into brittleness territory. It is great for what it is, but it is not a Mesa.