Frontman 25R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Fender: Frontman 25R

I use this guitar with my Epiphone Les paul that has 2 humbucking pickups, which I use to play, Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Wolfmother all kinds of rock. I also use it with my Fender Stratocaster which has three single coil pickups, which I use to play Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, and for my high school jazz band. If you get it turned up loud enough and have a pedal running through it, it will pickup a radio station. The amp is mostly versatile. I don't think you would be able to get any heavy metal kind of sounds out of it, but I don't play that kind of music so I wouldn't know. The clean channel is not at all distorted when you get it cranked up, but if you have it on the Drive and you have the volume up to about 7 and the drive to 8 or whatever, it does get a little too saturated. But you don't need to have it turned up that unless you are planning on playing over a loud drummer. Most of the time when I play by myself I have the volume set to about 4 and the gain to about 6. And it is never to saturated.

I use this amp to play almost all kinds of rock music. It has done me well for all the different styles that I started to like in my two and a half years of playing. I also have couple pedals running through it. A Boss blues driver so I can get a heavy distortion sound without too much saturation, an Electro-Harmonix Bigg Muff fuzz mox(I like fuzz), a Boss Phase shifter, a DigiTech Whammy Pedal, and a Vox wah wah pedal. All of these pedals sound great with this amp. I bought a floor model of this amp because they were all out so unfortunately I didn't get mine with a foot controller. I chose this amp because Fender is a great name product and probably anything you buy from them will be reliable. If something were to happen to it in which it would not be able to work again, I would probably go with another amp with higher wattage, only because I will be needing more for playing with a band. But if you are just starting out, and all of you friends are getting 15watt Crate amps, and you take this thing to their house, your friends will be amazed.

This is a quite dependable amp. You could definitely use it without a backup. So far it has not broken down on me and I've had it for about two and a half years. But then again I take care of it.

I believe this amp was made in 1999. It is my first amplifier and I am very happy with it. It goes great with all the different styles of music I play. It can do anything from Jimi Hendrix, to Eric Clapton, to Led Zeppelin, to Oasis, to Wolfmother. It has two channels, one for clean and one for Drive. It doesn't have an Effects loop. It comes with a headphone jack but I don't use it because I don't have headphones. The only thing I wish it had was possibly another drive selection for more drive. I use the amp just from playing by myself and jamming with my band. It has enough power for now but I will definitely upgrade later. It has one 10" speaker.