Frontman 25R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Fender: Frontman 25R

Purchased from: Ken Hams MusicWorks

I play an Ashton AG131 guitar with this amp. I was very disappointed with this amp. I took it to band practise and tried to play wiht my bandmates, but the clean distorts at five and the distortion is terrible at anything above five also. It has reverb but it's very plain at best and makes the overdrive channel sound even worse when it's on. The volume is extremely loud, but as said before, distorts very easy. It's also fairly tough to get a decent quiet sound, as you only have about between one and two on the volume to play with to get a reasonable sound. It's quite noisy, but I guess that could be attributed to the cheap guitar I'm using. Maybe wiht a better one it might be different.

I've been playing for around two years and I'm pretty much astounded at this amp. It's terrible. I prefered my Ashton GA10 amp to this, at least it put out a better sound at full volume. I'm really surprised that Fender put their name to this, as you expect a company that prides itself on quality for 60 years would ever let this amp out of the warehouse with their logo on it. If it was lost or stolen I would get a Marshall MG15CDR, as at least that is a quality amp. I wished that I had asked to play on full volume before buying this, because if I had I wouldn't be sitting here writing this review. My advice: if you are going to use your amp to play in a situation where volume is important, skip this amp completely. I'd jsut skip it all together actually.

I wouldn't gig with this amp, because it can't even stand up with practicing. It's fine at low levels, but pathetic for anything in the way of band rehearsals or gigs. I've only had it for three days, so I wouldn't know about the durabilty or reliability, and I don't think I'll find out, because I'm taking it back to the store. But I wil say that it's very portable, being quite compact for it's power.

This amp is a very nice looking amp. It's had a makeover from the old Frontman series and comes complete with the silver grill, Fender logo, etc. Has two channels, clean and overdrive, and has an auxillary input for a CD player, etc, as well as a headphones jack and a jack for a footswitch, which (disappointingly) didn't come with the amp. It's 20 watt and solid state, which is fair enough as it's fairly hard to find a cheap tube amp these days.

ava_adore666
    i got this amp as a gift from my grandparents i use a jackson and a fender this and its not that bad. the distortion is not that bad but theres better.the cleans good. the reverb isnt good at all. its good for a starting amp but thats about it the input on mine is messed up and had to be fixed and after that is works but could be better. it dosent have a foot switch witch is bad for me because i like to switch from clean to distored alot and the knobs spin real fast so if your wire gets inbetween them and pushes it messes it up i use this amp for pratice and thats about it
    aeirom1
    My friend has this amp. She blew it out in about 3 months and had to get it fixed but it hums a lot. It was total bullshit. Don't get it.
    trivium060
    I have one of these, and I normally use my Eppiphone Les Paul Custom and a Korg Toneworks 104ds Hyper Distortion pedal from the '90s. The distortion isn's GREAT, but its acceptable, sounds good when u play with someone who has the same amp, but by myself I prefer the pedal. The clean is pretty good. The reverb is pretty good, I have no problems with it, and with my experience w/ my pedal, the louder it get, the better it gets. Its a great practice amp in my case. Maybe the rest of you guys are just used to the highest quality, sometimes thats not what it's all about.