Frontman 25R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Fender: Frontman 25R

In summary: the sound sucks. Real bad. I'm using a Yamaha PAC012 mostly, but it used to get played with an Yngwie Strat and an Ibanez JEM7V. The fuzz is awful, there's lots of feedback, and for the most part anything played through the neck pickup can't be heard. From my expirements the amp hasn't been able to make a very good variety of sounds although it seems to me it could be a good metal practice amp (heavy/death metal that is, not classic bands like Def Leppard or Sabbath). At high volume the clean channel just kind of gives out and starts acting like a subwoofer. It's all punch, which might not be bad if I played bass, but I only wanted a loud clean channel. The overdrive is disgusting. It's out of control, squealing and shrieking. Let's just say they're all interesting sounds, and I'm sure therte's some people Who would absolutely love it, but for anyone trying to hear what they're actually playing, I don't recommend it.

Go with a Marshall MG30DFX if you want 25-30 watts, I love my MG15DFX. Both of these models are amazing amps, and they'll only run you $200 on eBay. The Fender 25R is a very bad amp for beginners, as they won't learn to actually play with it because they're not hearing what they're doing. And anyone who's not a beginner will hate the sound, mostly I'm talking about the fuzz, feedback, bad high volume clean channel, and crappy overdrive. I don't recommend this amp at all, unless it's just for show (it does look nice).

It's never broken down, never had t repair it. I tried to because I thought it was broken, but that's when I learned that my Fender wad not unique, they all sounded like that. It's very reliable and durable, I've never been rough with it but it is a solid item.

Not many features to speak of. It has clean and overdrive channels. There's a footswitch jack, but don't expect any footpedal you plug into to be listenable. It's not too heavy, so if you need to bring it with you it's a decent travel amp. I use it in my house and sometimes outside, and in my opinion Fender just doesn't know how to handle 25 watts. It's plenty of power, but no control. For example, a little butter on a pancake is delicious, but the Fender is like taking an entire stick of butter then throwing it at the pancake.

ridingthemetro
    shoolocomous wrote: to the guy who said this is a tube amp; it blatantly isnt.
    glad someone pointed that out
    outerlimit501
    I have one of these as a practice amp, and to those of you (4 people) ho said get a Marshall MG instead, you obviously shouldn't be writing reviews. Go play more (better) guitar amps.