Frontman 25R review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 25R

I'm playing my Frontman with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom through a DigiTech RP350. Everything works fantastically. It functions really well with or without the pedal. But, as to the amp itself's sounds, I really like it. It's not really a Marshall with that insane distortion, but it holds out on high gain. Eventually it gets fuzzy and when I run Slayer through the MP3 jack it distorts a tad. I can play through bright clean ska, insane death metal, or some light jazz. I like it a lot.

I've run through about a hundred practice amps with friends, Guitar center, and other assorted methods, and this one really leads in quality vs. price. Simple, effective, relatively loud (the difference is clear when played alongside a 15 watter). Yeah, there's probably better out there, but this is going to be a good place to start or just to use as a practice amp for someone on a tight budget.

Not that I would gig with it, but if I had to I suppose I wouldn't worry. The amp has held strong for me, no issues thus far (almost a year, by the way.) But it is pretty much a 25 watt practice amp. I can imagine it puffing smoke if I try to use it after I drop it one time. However, for those considering buying it, do pay attention to warranty as many have had factory defects. That doesn't really apply to my review, but just a warning. Note the reviews around me with ones. Anyhoo, all in all, durable.

This frontman is, all in all, a practice amp. And when you compare all of the practice amps in this price range, this one stands out. MP3/CD input, headphone jack, nice speaker, two channels, 25 watts, reverb, it's very nice. Obviously it's no tube amp nor a gigging amp, but as a practice or beginner amp, it's fantastic. The only thing that kind of sucks about it is that there's no effects other than reverb. I just wish it had a few little things, but hey, how else would Fender sell G-DECS?