Frontman 25R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Fender: Frontman 25R

This amp was purchased when I first started playing. The salesman at guitar center recommended it. I was new and hoping to get a good Metal sound out of it. The guitar I use this amp with is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It still has the stock pickups and it has been professionally set-up and would otherwise sound good despite not being upgraded. The clean tone is actually not half bad and you will likely be able to get the sound you want out of it if you mess around with the amp for awhile. The overdrive channel is awful and among the worst I've heard. Do not buy this amp if you want to play metal, rock, or punk. The only thing that the overdrive channel can do on this amp is produce a sub-par blues sound but there are many better amps out there for that. When you try to play chords with four or more notes you won't be able to hear anything but a distorted jumble of buzzing sounds. Another thing is that the sound quality takes a huge hit if you turn up even halfway. It's inexcusable how bad the overdrive is on this amp.

I have been playing for about 6 months now and I have compared my amp to others with the same guitar and the difference is night and day. I'm not pretending to be a great guitarist but the truth is that this amp is just plain awful in most regards. Fender has really disappointed me with this amp. My biggest regret is that I didn't test out the other amps before I bought this one. The only good thing about this amp is the clean channel and it isn't even that great. I would never buy this amp again and I do not recommend it to anyone. Especially beginners and if you have this amp then sell it and buy something better before it ruins your guitar playing experience.

It still works after six months but it doesn't sound as good as it used to and it makes crackling noises from time to time. This can't be used for gigging considering how bad the sound is. It's strictly a backup practice amp and nothing more. Time will tell but things sure don't look good so far.

The power is 25W. This amp has enough settings for a beginner guitarist. It comes with clean and overdrive settings. It also has the basic reverb, bass, middle, treble and gain knobs if you want to adjust your sound. There is also a head phone and foot pedal jack along with an area for AUX input. Includes a basic carrying handle too. Gotta say it looks pretty nice too.