Frontman 25R review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 25R

I use this amplifier together with my Jackson DK2S Dinky and it's sound is pretty satisfying for both channels. The clean channel is amazing, and together with the reverb, it can give you a very good sound for sweet solos (not to mention my guitar's Seymour Duncans are doing the job well). It also doesn't sound distorted at high volumes, but the basses can get really ear-disturbing as if you were playing an electric bass, and I still didn't figure out how to control it. The drive mode is versatile, the gain knob can turn it from a heavy distortion to a cool overdrive in seconds, though I wouldn't depend on it and I'd go buy a pedal for myself, since it's not brutal enough at maximum gain, and it's not any good sound when it's on overdrive, but it's enough as a practice amp.

I play everything from soft rock to thrash metal, and this is somewhat a good match, and I don't think this amp is far away from being the ultimate practice-at-home amp (definitely not for gigs though). I have been playing for 3 years now, and I kind of regret not buying the Ibanez TBX30R for the same price, but I'm still happy with the purchase I made. If it were stolen I would probably buy the Ibanez TBX30R since it's a little improvement for the same price (though I'm not 100% sure, I still didn't get to answer all my questions about it). What I love about it is the clean channel, it's sweet! As I said above, I compared it to the TBX30R, and the TBX sounded a little better, since it was more versatile, and the distortions it delivered sounded more like the tone I was looking for, but I'm still happy with what I have. I wish it had a few more features in it like a delay, but I guess that's a few steps forward.

This amp is real solid, I have for a few monthes now and it has no flaws or anything at all! Though I wouldn't take it to a gig, since 25 watts of power can't handle a gig as I heard. I never had any technical problems with this amp, and it sounds as good as it sounded the day it arrived.

studioboss
    Some of the comments here are from guys who don't really know what to look for in an amp and are making poor choices as a result. Fender has never made amps that excel at Hard Rock / Metal. Buy a MARSHALL, dude. I have a Marshall AVT-20 for that. The Frontman 25R works great for clean sounds, always Fender's trademark (Think '60s surf and the like). I have a Les Paul and a Strat and the two amps are as different from each other as my guitars are. Effects? What do you expect for this price? This is a great amp for recording, which is what I use the Frontman and the AVT-20 for. I've been playing for 30+ years- trust me when I say don't by a screwdriver when you want a hammer. Buy the right tool for the job.
    dougl126
    You guys who gave this amp a bad score are dumb. This amp is less than 200 dollars. If youre only looking for an amp this cheap then this is the best by far. If youre looking for an actual amp to play with then save up your money. As far as I'm concerned this is a great intermediate amp.
    tbarrettl
    Just so people know, I guess if a person gets a replacement speaker for this amp like an Eminence Ragin' Cajun it is supposed to make all negatives of this amp go away though I haven't tried that myself.
    Shovelhandle
    I just picked up a sweet MIM Frontman 25R off E-Bay for $41. I'm just practicing at home but this amp has volume and decent sound though the reverb is not great it's ok. The amp is portable. I'd pay $150 for it after what I've seen in the shops around here.
    sincewhen??
    You get what you pay for, and the 'distortion' is morely overdrive.. which I love though. The EQ is obviously not the best with some treble and bass problems on it but it worked.. unfortunately mine recently blew out and died after three/four years of use .. but I think it was great value.