Frontman 25R review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 25R

Purchased from: guitar centre

Mostly I play my Squier Affinity Tele through it at home during warm ups, tune ups and while learning new material. (50s, 60s, 70s rock, some country, etc) It's portable enough you don't feel like you are loading up and loading out moving it from room to room for practices. The Drive is about as good as one would expect from a low wattage SS amp, the reverb is a bit weak, but taken up to about 8 with a clean signal, suitable for Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, Ventures style riffs. I've used it at a small club unmiked once, cranked up to about 8 on clean, the speaker really didn't like that volume, was a little shakey, but no damage. (usually, I would mic the speaker through the P.A. But it was late, small crowd, and only in service for a quick set).

I play mostly 50s, 60s and 70s rock, some country, a few heavy metal tunes and it does well with them all using no pedals except the A/B switch between chanels. I have been playing guitar for about 40 years, had a few electrics, a few acoustics, a few amps (tube and solid state) play keys, violin, fife and penny whistle, used to play trombone, so I've been around. I had the Frontman 15G amp and got rid of it only because this was more versatile for my needs at home. I looked at all the other low wattage amps and decided this one had the best to offer for it's size, weight, price and sound (Line 6, Crate, Kustom, Raven). If you're tight on money and space, this amp can do all you need without worry.

It seems it will last as long as I allow it to, and that will be a while. As stated, it has been through a few gigs, indoor and outdoor, miked through the P.A. with a good system and a sound man that pays attention it is versatile enough to go from bedroom to club without worry, or effort. SS circuitry and 10" speaker make it very portable with usable sound. If my Peavey failed me, I would feel comfortable using this as my main amp on stage without a backup.

I bought this amp back in 2010, mostly for at home and intimate venues. It is a basic 2 chanel SS amp with mild reverb, aux input that accepts RCA jacks, a footswitch jack for an A/B switch, and a headphone jack (I believe it can be used as an external speaker jack, but will bypass built in speaker). Without the footswitch you can toggle between chanels (clean and drive) with a push-button which is over-ridden with an A/B footswitch.