Frontman 25R review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 25R

Purchased from: Guitar center

I mainly use my handmade flying V variant that I made in my workshop, with Rio Grande humbuckers and wiring copied from a Gibson Les Paul, and I play metal, blues and punk. It works fine and dandy. The clean channel is good at most volumes that I have used it at. The Drive channel is very nice, although it can hum if you turn the gain up past 7. I'm blown away at how loud it can be. It shakes the floor at 3, but when turned up all the way it can get unclear and distorted (in a not-so-good way). With the treble/mid/bass I can dial in a variety of sounds all of which are to my liking. On the Drive channel I like to keep the gain around 5 or 6, as I consider it to be it's sweet spot. The distortion can lose some of it's sweetness at high volumes, but only if the gain is maxed out. There's a magic setting for this amp in my opinion, and once I found that setting, I told myself, "I love this amp!"

I'm satisfied with it. It suits my playing style and I tried a host of other amps before buying it. If it were stolen I would buy another one in a heartbeat, since I payed only $100 for it. If there were something I would add to it, it would be the ability to run speaker cabinets through it.

I just got the amp so there's not much to say as in reliability, but I will probably use it in a small gig, as it has the sound is good to me and it's loud enough for the size of gig I will be playing for now, but I will always have a backup amp, as a precaution. So far, so good.

The amp has 2 channels - clean and overdrive, with a volume for both channels and a gain for the Drive channel, and an auxiliary in for MP3 or other device, as well as a treble, mid, bass controls and a reverb dial, combined with a headphone jack and foot switch jack.