Frontman 65R review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 65R

I've always heard critics rave how good the famed Fender clean channel is. I didn't find it spectacular, but it does its job. Add a little of the built in reverb (I have mine at 5 or 6) and you can get a good sounding clean tone. I use my Ibanez RG7321 7 string guitar with the stock pick ups with this amp. I get a slight buzz but it depends how close I am to the amp. If I'm across the room theres nothing, if I'm sitting right next to the amp there is a very slight buzz. Now we are coming up to the only problem I have with this amp. The distortion. The distortion is very bad (Its a solid-state amp. What did you expect?) Its hard to describe it. It sounds like your listening to music through an old radio. Its very muffed. This problem can be easily fixed with running a distortion pedal through the clean channel.

Over all this is a pretty good amp. I play a lot of Alternative Metal/Rock (Korn, Staind, Creed, ect.) I could imagine any player of any genre appreciate the clean channel, but, as I said, the distortion channel is very bad, so its pretty much 50/50. At least we have Distortion pedals to fix that problem. If this amp was stolen I wouldn't buy it again. As I said its a pretty good amp but there are better amps in its price range.

This is a very durable amp. I transfer it to and from band practices/jams/writing sessions, ect. nearly every weekend. It has a few chips in the paint along the sides of the amp, but its not a big deal. There is no defects at all internally. The front looks like metal but is actually made of fabric. It worried me when I first got it but it hasn't torn yet, so I'm gaining confidence in the strength fabric.

This is the Fender Frontman 65. Its 65 watts, solid-state, a clean channel and distorted channel, and built in reverb. Its pretty basic. This amp is LOUD. I have mine at 2 and it shakes my medium sized bed room. Its definitely big enough for small to medium sized venues.