G-DEC review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Fender: G-DEC

The volume control is terrible, once the volume gets above 5 for any preset, amp module etc. expect the worst. 15 solid state watts isn't very much and if your trying to jam with drums or another guitar hooked onto a different amp, you need to go high on your volumes, usually 6, 7, 8, 9. At this point all sounds either distort or go right through the noise gate and give you the worst feedback. I tried playing with a drummer not to long ago with it to achieve some sort of opinion and no matter what volume drums drowned it out, and when the drums stopped all hell broke loose. My volume was on 7, and I experienced sound distortion, immense feedback, and overall just crap. When you set the amp module to acoustic setting it's mediocre at best at low volumes and complete crap at high volume. The distortion is really loud, but can sort all styles of playing depending on the amp module your using. The only redeemable quality to the amps sound is it is completely customizable, and again for beginners that is a good thing. I run a Dean ML btw, and the pickups are very trustworthy and work very very well through other amps, and it isn't a cable problem for the same reasons. I've played through Peaveys, better marshalls, and a mesa with my guitar and never got the lack of quality I got from the G-DEC.

I'm gonna repeat this one more time, if you don't have a guitar amplifier this should be your first one. It gives you a very good introduction into the different types of effects out there, and how to solo against very simple backing tracks. The recording loop is also good to create your own backing tracks. It it were stolen or lost from me, I wouldn't replace it. I would actually start saving up for something better. Basically, good for the beginner, but after that not what you want, there's a lot of toys to play with on the amp, but your trying to play the guitar and if you want to do that the right way, you will need a better amp.

I would never, never use this amp for a gig. The high volume problems is too much, and again it's only 15 watts so drums and other guitars hooked up to other amps will drown out the G-DECs sound. But my G-DEC has never broken down, never had a maintenance problem and it's about a year old. I still give this a 5 because of the unreliability for band settings.

The Fender G-DEC is 15 watts of solid state that contains 50 preset channels, and 17 amp models. You can record about 30 seconds of playing time, and play it over a loop and then you can save it. There is many different digital effects that are available to experiment with, and there are 2 guitar input jacks. Basically for me, as a guitar player, this amp is a beginners amp. If you want to buy your kid they're first guitar amp this is what you buy. As for more experienced players that are in bands and need a lot of versatility, this amp won't cut it. This modelling amp is entirely digital, with digital eq, digital effects, and digital sounds. I don't like most of the digital effects, especially the wah since it is not on a pedal, so it's a constant "wah" sound that drones out the original guitar note. There is a guitar tone knob on the amp, with a master volume and a backing track volume knob. There is also 70 drum and bass backing tracks, with controllable tempo. They are very simple. Overall I prefer to get effects from pedals, I don't like effect loops and digital effects, for me they sound too "fake." I find it hard to create the exact effect you want to coexist with your playing. Overall I give the effects a 5, because again, for a first amp it will be very good, but after you start to play better amps made for bands and serious playing you will learn that the G-DEC isn't what you want.

MetalManiac_86
    I've been playing for about 6 years. I have owned one of these for almost 2 years and I have to say it's really FUN to play around with. As far as practicing, this thing is the answer. Tons of FX and things to tinker around with, backing tracks, metronome, etc. The tone I would say is merely "alright". Good but not amazing. The Effects can be noisy sometimes, but otherwise good. It has done wonders for my timing and improvising. I went for the longest time just screwing around with my own playing and developing a style as opposed to playing the same old songs. I do consider this nothing more than a practice amp and wouldn't use it to play anywhere other than the bedroom/basement/garage type thing. A piece broke on the inside of the amp at the power input jack, and if not in the right position or if wiggled, power is cut off from amp. The nut on the guitar input jack also stripped. Overall: 7.5/10
    Guitar_Jester
    nanaki2007
    I borrowed this from one of my friends when I left mine an at someone's house an hour away on accident and I really couldn't stand it. the tone on hi gain and clean was not impressive at the least, the effects sound fake, and it is WAY too expensive even if it worked right. I payed less than half what this one costs for my orange crush and it is way better. even without the extra "effects".
    MetalManiac_86
    ihavenoname93
    MetalManiac_86 wrote: Guitar_Jester wrote: Everyone who's saying this amp is awesome never played any good amps. I've got a Marshall JCM800. It destroys the G-DEC. Actually the majority say its a *GOOD PRACTICE* amp, which it is. I hope you were trying to be an idiot on purpose, otherwise good job posting just to brag and let everyone know you have a JCM800 (who cares?) Of course it doesn't have the power/tone of a JCM. That's like comparing a Chevrolet Chevette to a Camaro.
    more like a corvette to a prius
    KidRich