G-DEC Junior review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Fender: G-DEC Junior

Purchased from: Swee Lee Singapore

The broad range of FX means that it should suit most styles. My style is mostly rock but sometimes I play metal and sometimes just clean. The distortion range and controls are good, I do like the 'British' sound on this amp. The big let down with the DEC-Junior, and for me this really counters any good thing that this amp has to offer, is that it has a horrible buzz, a super annoying buzz. If I'm not playing it will just sit there and buzz, when I am playing I think the buzz just gets drowned out. I can't remember it being like that in the shop but after reading other reviews noise appears not uncommon with this model.

The concept of a 'do-everything' amp for home prectice is good but the noise from my Fender DEC-Junior leaves me with the feeling that I should've bought something else. I also have a Vox which is much better and I use that now. If someone stole my DEC-Junior I wouldn't mind in the least but I'd still regret that I'd bought it in the first place. Overall I have to give a low rating, I wouldn't recommend this amp to any of my friends.

For me this buzz rules it out for any serious playing and it certainly wouldn't be good at a gig. Having said that, a 15 Watt amp isn't suitable to gig with anyway. The buzz also rules it out as being reliable, although it hasn't blown up, the buzz is enough to leave me with a feeling that it's just about to. I'm pretty uncomfortable using this or having to rely upon it.

I bought this as a practice amp for home in mid 2010. I guess the amp was built in 2009 or 2010. There are lots of built in FX and drum beats plus a metronome, and aux and headphone sockets in addition to the single input for the guitar. I don't have a permanent setup in the garage so something that offers all these sounds and backing means it's easy to just plug it in and play just about anything without the need for lots of effects and pedal boxes and power outlets around the living room. There is ability to record so no loops. It has plenty of power for home practice but struggles at low volumes so volume is always at a level that annoys the neighbours in my condo. There is a headphone socket but I don't like to use headphones but it's just not the same.