Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

Purchased from: My local music store

I play a customised strat and a gibson V-2 through this, with a pretty wide range of passive pickup outputs. This gives a wonderful natural, unadulterated tube sound, dosn't sound fake. It doesn't produce much extra noise, and a crystal-clear sound at low volumes with sweet, fat tube overdrive at high volumes. I love this amp's sound. Absolutely marvelous. It won't fuck with your tone when you don't want it to, it brings out the true soul of your guitar.

I love this amp. It's pretty vintage apearance to it's beautiful tone. I don't see the need for a replacement untill I get playing really big gigs. I love its sound, sweet and pure. None of that crappy distortion you get from a DSP amp, this is real, pure tube sound. It sounds like its actually a guitar making the sound, it sounds pure and unadulterated. Unless you turn it's footswitchable drive circut on. It's not horrible, but not as clear as I would like. But I can't really expect to much of that when playing it quiet. The decision to get it came on personal suggestions, reading the frontline catalouge, and then trying it as well as every other amp in the store. They all pointed to this line of amps, (pro junior, Blues Junior, this one, deville, deville 410) and this was the best match for me in terms of size and sound of those. Brillian amp, wouldn't give it up.

I've never had problems, but that dosn't mean much, I've only had it like 10 months. I don't see any about to happen. It does have tubes, though, so be careful with it.

Doesn't have everything, but the interface is simple and effective. It has a 3-band eq, reverb, 2 channels of overdrive in addition to the clean channel. They give it overdriven sound any volume, but it doesn't sound as good on these as it would by cranking it or getting a tube overdrive pedal. It also has an effects loop, although i'm not a big pedal user, so I don't use it. It is a 100% tube amp. I find it versitle enough for me, I play a range of blues to classic rock to modern rock, and also some hard rock. It has the ability to put out a respectable sound for all these types. It is also very loud for its wattage, it's done fine at the small gigs I've played (haven't played large ones, but it could probably handle them). It's not perfect, but it's pretty versitle.