Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

First off, I am a worship pastor for a young church. The team has adapted a Dave Matthews, John Mayer type sound. I personally like SRV. I play a 1970's reissue strat that I've had Hot Noiseless p/u's put in. I also play a PRS Santana SE. Here is how I set up my amp when I plug straight in with no effects: Bass at 4, Middle all the way up to 12, and treble at 6. Gain at 4-6, Reverb at 4, and Prescence at 10. The important thing to know is that this amp is meant to sound a certian way, so the EQ knobs do very little in the big picture. I crank the mid's to get the overdrive growling...and boy does it growl. When I'm not going direct, I'm running through a Vox Tonelab SE plugged into the amps Preamp in. So, it doesn't really matter what amp I use as long as I've got all the tubes which make all the difference in the world. This amp rocks!

Overall, it's a great amp. Not sure I'd buy it again, because I really want a Fender Vibro King now. My taste is getting richer. Maybe a Vox AC30. Anyhow, it is a great amp if you're looking for a Rok'n'Roll, Blues, Blues Rock, John Mayer, or SRV type sound. Not an 80's butt rock amp.

Never had a problem with this amp. I've owned it for about a year and a half. I'll rate in a 5 due to Fender's reputation.

40W at 8 Ohms with one 12" speaker. All tube power and preamp. Tube: Groove Tubes 3 X 12AX7, 2 X 6L6, Solid State Rectifier. Controls: Volume (for the clean channel), Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume (for the overdriven channel), Gain, Prescence, and Reverb. Comes with a two button footswitch. Weighs a ton (I think it like 45 lbs). Oh, it has chickenhead knobs.