Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

Purchased from: ZZsounds

I use a Fender MIM Stratocaster (pickups are to be changed soon) & an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I love the sound and tone that this amp provides!! Unfortunately Fender uses a linear taper pot instead of an AUDIO taper pot. So when turning up the volume it gets real loud very fast. This can be modified but may void the warranty. I am thinking about changing out the power tubes which will cause the volume to not be too loud. It is very clean sounding amp and it definitely suits my style. Other than the volume issue, this amp is downright awesome!

My style of music matches this amp very well in my opinion. I like Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead, The Edge from U2, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Page & Adam Jones. I would say that for the most part that this amp is more than capable of handling anything that I (mediocre ability) can throw at it. If metal is not your style then I highly recommend this amp.

It seems like it is constructed well, only time will tell if it is reliable and durable. From what I have read on the internet, Fender seems like they put out well made and reliable products. Hopefully the same is true with this amp. Currently I don't gig so this is not an issue for me. Hopefully one day I will be good enough to gig and we will see how she responds.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe "White Lightning" Limited Edition (only 800 made). This amp was first introduced November 2006. This limited edition version comes with an upgraded speaker (12" Celestion Century Vintage speaker) compared to the regular Hot Rod Deluxe. It also comes with an overdrive channel that isn't very good in my opinion. The overdrive pedal isn't that big of an issue for me because I use a Vox TonelabSE which has numerous effects (to include overdrive). This is a Made in Mexico amp (is there anything manufactured in the States anymore? ).

Nem
    Don't know about anyone else, but with the stock tubes I always found that the volume was too sensitive in the low end and there was an audible background hum. I recently replaced my pre-amp tubes with three Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH tubes, and both those problems disappeared. The amp's almost inaudible until I start playing now. I'm not suggesting these tubes are the best, they just fit my price range.
    JRR1984
    Nem: so, by replacing your pre-amp tubes with the EH tubes, you got rid of the common volume issue that surrounds this otherwise great amp? Rather than modifying the taper pot? Thanks!
    DancingDays
    speaking of tubes, how do you tell if a tube has been blown or damadged and what can cause this??
    the_guy
    i tried this amp out in a local storre, and i was really impressed by the sparkling clean tone. the distortion was ok, but you'd probably need a pedal. personally i prefer the vox ac30 to this, because it's more versatile, but if you like playing on clean mode, use distortion from pedals and want a very LOUD amplifier for gigs, then this is for you
    stafford5150
    i love these im seriously considering investing in one, my ex's bro has one and it sounds beautifull and it is so loud! we got it up tp 6 and i had to leave the room, i also love how it goes beyond the conventional 10 (control knob wise)
    philfie
    i would eat a part of my self, then take a shit from eating myslf, then eat the shit, then shit out the shit i ate b4 then eat that shit jus to get this amp.i've found one for AUS$480