Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

I play a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard and that thing rips so loud it's untrue (Keep the volume on the amp low at first because it roars even at low volume). I also play a Fender deluxe players strat (American made, 60th anniversary model) and it sounds so warm and creamy that I just instantly fell in love with the sound. I am in a band that gig regularly and so this amp come with me and it has handled some big gigs (Biggest so far being an outdoor gig in Manchester UK) and it handled it no problem. I play a wide variety of styles but mainly rock/indie/blues and this amp handles them no prblem (think The Strokes earlier work)

This amp perfectly fits in with what I need it for and so I would deffinatley reccomend it to any rock/indie/blues/surf guitarist etc. Metal players might want to avoid this amp unless they add a pedal to the mixture but I have done it and it works:-) If lost or stolen I would buy it again.

I would definatley gig this amp without a backup as it has never let me down. Only thing that has ever been changed on it is the tubes at 1 occassion as they started to hum but that's my own fault (long story). Gig and rehearse with this amp at least one 3 or 4 hour session a week and so would never loose Faith in it.

Features wise, this amp is brilliant. Not sure what year this amp was made but for 200 a Fender tube amplifier is an absolute bargain. This amp has 2 channels (Obvious clean and Drive) and a gain boost for the overdrive channel called "More Gain". There are two inputs for this amplifier with input number 2 lowering the volume by 6 decibels (or something like that was mentioned in the manual) and therefore if your guitar hums a lot then changing the input should reduce this a bit without you having to change your gain settings. This guitar also has an effects loop but I haven't used it yet so I can't really say much on it as it's just an effects loop at the end of the day. This amp has standard Bass, Mid and Treble EQ but it is split across the two channels which kinda sucks. There is also a really great reverb which goes really deep for some nice atmospheric sounds. The presence dial also brings the amp up for a more "IN YOUR FACE" feel. Overall great features but due to there only being 1 EQ it just doesn't quite cut it.