Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

I use an Ibanez Artcore with Gibson Classic 57 Pickups installed, and a Epiphone G-310, stock. This is my third amp. I went from a Spider 2, to a Epiphone Valve Junior halfstack, and then to this. The main reason is that I needed an amp that could play out at gigs with. The Valve Junior was a good amp, but not loud enough in the clean department. Broke up way to early. Good for bedroom levels though. I always wanted a Fender amp, because some of my favorite bands (I.e. Brand New, The Honorary Title) use Fender amps for their cleans (granted Brand New uses a Deville, and the Honorary Title uses a Twin Reverb). But doing some research it was supposed to have the same crisp cleans. Very true! This amp has one of the cleanest sounds I have heard. True it's alittle bassy, but then again my artcore makes everything sound alittle bassy. Just turn the treble up and bass down, bingo. Crisp clear cleans. Beautiful. The reverb is also good, for a solid state, but Fender reverb is always good. Not too good past 3 though. Just too much. I don't use the Drive channels at all. First, bacause doing some research, I found out that they are not too good, and second after trying them, because they are just not too good. I use a Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, Boss DS-1, and Maestro Chorus. So I have all the distortion or overdrive I could want. I just wanted something with pristine cleans. Got it! Great cleans, but I gave it a 9 cause the Drive is no good.

I play indie, rock, and alternative, so this amp suits my style great. It is also wrapped in tweed, so it give it an old school look, going great with it's old school sound. I have been playing for about 3 1/2 years, but just because I haven't had that much experience, don't write me off. I thoroughly research everything for months before I buy it. And this gave me what I want, for a cheap price, since I'm a working musician.

Well, I have not used it out on a gig yet haven't really pushed the clean channel into overdrive either (I Live in an apartment, and I don't think my neighbors would like that too much), but it's plenty loud. Almost too loud. I belive this would have adaquate headroom to play Live, but if not, a quick tube change could prolly fix that. The one problem I had was that there was some random popping that started happening (scared the shit out of me cause I had it cranked). When this happened I saw that the More Drive button on the foot Switch was flashing, so I simply unplugged the footswitch and it never happened again.

I believe that this is a 2007 model. Since I bought it from a guy on craigs list, he had originally sold it under the impression that it was a Blues Deluxe Reissue. I had heard that they were alittle better than the Hot Rod Deluxe. Doing some research, I figured out that this amp was a Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Edition, Tweed. This has an upgraded Jenson speaker. But it still has all the same features of the Hot Rod, 3 channels, effects loop, 40w, blah. it's almost all tube, it has solid state reverb.