Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

I use Fender Stratocaster(mexican) primarily. The clean channel sounds beautiful with reverb and the bright Switch engaged. There's a really nice top end sparkle to this amp's clean channel. Also the amp will start to break up at a fairly low volume. Personally I really like that sound as do many other Fender players. It is a noisy amp. Nothing a noise gate can't fix. The distortion is unbelievably smooth and warm with the neck pick up engaged. I also own a Dean Explorer Z. This guitar on the Drive channels has a really decent metal tone. Even my strat can achieve a fairly decent metal tone. My number 1 recommendation for anyone buying this amp who wants to achieve a metal tone is an overdrive pedal. I use this amp with a TS9 tubescreamer and I can get my chunky riffs and chugging like no problem. Do not put a distortion pedal through the effects loop. Put it right through your input. Do not litsen to the claims that this amp can't play metal. Cut back on the bass, increase the presence, turn up the trebs and mids and you got a nice head start. Volume at 3+, new strings on your strat, neck pickup, cranked mids and some reverb and will you swear Stevie Ray Vaughan was in the room with you. Don't take my word, go and try it.

I play punk, alternative, jazz and metal. The first 3 genres are easily a perfect match for this amp. The metal as I said will take some time and effects to achieve as this amp handles pedals very well. I've been playing guitar 4 years and after buying this amp I finally think I have all I need to achieve the sound I want. The amps internal speaker works simultaneously with an external cabinets and is very responsive with it sound which is something I've been longing for. If it was lost or stolen I would absolutely buy it again. You buy this amp for the clean channel. I see this amp appearing more and more in music videos and Live videos. Coldplay, The Strokes, The Fratellis, The Ting Tings usuallly appears in it's big brother form Hot Rod Deville 212 but it's the same basic concept as this amp is cheaper and more practical for someone playing small-medium gigs but still wanting to play at bedroom level.

I've only owned it for a couple months but it has been a really smooth ride. It's been on stage, in a van and my bedroom and has never acted up. It seems very durable and also is very heavy.