Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: used

I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon Model with this amp, and it suit's my music style perfectly, being post-hardcore/emocore/metal etc etc. This amp has a slight hum when my distortion pedal is turned on max, but that's really minor. The sound on the amp can be either creamy and smooth, or hot and crunchy. It really depends on the settings on the amp, effects, and your guitar. Like I said before, this amp takes pedals very well. I used to hate my Boss Ds-1 when I used it with my Crate GT30, but now with the Hot Rod Deluxe, it screams:). The clean channel will slightly break up around 6, but I've never been able to actually try it on that kind of volume, because this amp is soo loud! (At a church gig, the volume was set on HALF). The distortion isn't very good at all. If you're playing bluesy kind of stuff, it will do the job, but that's what I have an Ibanzez TS9 Tubescreamer, and a Boss DS-1 for.:)

Alone, I play any kind of music; rock, metal, blues, jazz, funk, etc, and in my band, I play hardcore/emocore. This amp is definitely a good match, being very versatile. I have been playing for 2 years now. I started playing when I was 13, by picking up a guitar that was kept in storage for a while, and I eventually taught myself how to play. Before I bought the Hot Rod Deluxe, I was looking at buying the Fender Frontman 212R. When I asked one of the workers at The Music store if it was a worthwhile buy, he told me to save my money for a better amp, and to not waste money on cheap *crap*, hence why I looked at adds for a good used tube amp. I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, and Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, a Boss ds-1, a Dunlop crybaby, and a Crate GT30. If this amp were stolen, all though I really like it, I'd probably save up for a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier. I love the cleans on this amp, and how well it takes pedals. I hate the Drive channel. It's very thin sounding, and there seems to be no midrange in it. I compared this amp to a Fender frontman 212r, a marshallmg100hdfx, and a Crate V50. I think the Fender hot rod wins. I chose it, because it had the best sound to my ears. The only thing I wish this amp had was a good Drive channel, but that doesn't matter too much, cause I never use it.

I can definitely depend on this amp. I have used it without backup for every gig I have done so far. I had to have my amp checked in, because there was a missing bolt in the panel, and there was a broken input jack (bought like that). As a tube amp, I'm sure that I will have to get the tubes changed eventually.

This amp was bought used a few months ago. It is a U.S.A. Model, so I guess it was manufactured before they started making them in Mexico. This amp fit's my style perfectly, being large enough to do gigs, but small enough to move around. I play in a post-hardcore/metal band, and I know this seems to be a weird amp to be using for that sort of music, but it works perfectly well, because it takes pedals extremely well. It has 3 channels: clean, Drive, more Drive, and with a "bright" Switch. There is no headphone jack, but that doesn't bother me at all. I do wish it had a tremelo feature, but that's not a big deal. One thing I hate about this amp, is that the Drive channel is horrid, but I bought it for the clean channel, so I'm happy. I've done only 3 three gigs so far with this amp, but it sounds awesome. It has a very sparkly warm sound especially when turned up a bit. This amp is all tube powered with a solid-state rectifier.

lao123
    Hmmm... Sounds good. A bit out of my price range. I hope the people from the NICE music store could give me a discount... If they stock it lol.