Hot Rod Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe

Purchased from: Craigslist

I use a les paul style guitar with humbuckers and it sounds GREAT in the clean department. Any where from shimmery cleans to thick cleans. It suits blues and Indie music very well. The amp is noisy on the Drive channel but not too bad. On the more Drive circuit its very noisy. The reverb is okay not bad but nothing spectacular I really feel like there is no inbetween with the reverb its either very little or huge spring reverb saturation. It has a great blues crunch but won't do metal which is fine by me. At about 3 the speaker can start to break up and the power tubes distort after 4 but I think it can get some loud usable cleans. The distortion is just kind of muddy and flabby. Not too useable but good for blues and gets alot better when turned up. When using the Drive channel I tend to keep the Drive under 5 and crank the amp.

I play alot punk alternative Indie and blues music. This particular amp is great for blues especially or anything using cleans. I've been playing 6 years and I feel like I chose a great amp. If this amp were lost or stolen I would probably take the chance to upgrade to a different Fender amp. I love the cleans. I hate the more Drive circuit! My favorite feature is without a doubt the simplicity of the amp. I wish it had a better Drive channel.

The amp seems dependable. I honestly have not had it long enough to have a real opinion on reliability.

I'm not sure the year of the amp but its in impeccable condition. This amp is really not to versatile but thats okay because it takes pedals very well. The amp has 2 channels one with no master volume or Drive and one with master volume and drive. Its 40 watts and gets pretty loud but past about 4 on the volume it just distorts. It is a tube amp. One of the features I find un-neccesary is the "more drive" circuit.