Hot Rod DeVille 212 review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod DeVille 212

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

I play a Fender Stratocaster HSS Deluxe, which has two standard pickups and the dual-coil "humbucker", the dual-coil being needed for less hum and more versatility outside of blues and classic rock. Seeing as this is the most likely guitar that Fender used to tune the tones on the amplifier, this guitar-amplifier combination sounds amazing. The clean channel combined with reverb and the front pickups on my guitar can create the perfect B.B. King sound replica, while the center pickup selector with overdrive is great for Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the lower pickups for heavier, deeper music. One pet-peeve on this amplifier is the sensitivity. At about the 1.5 (of 12) volume level, the amp is barely audible. However, at 2.0, I cannot hear myself think. Even at a small gig in town, I did not have to turn up this amplifier past "2". However, due to the amplifier's tube properties, this amplifier's tone begins to Shine at above "2" so it is not practical for use in a small room. But believe me, once you pass the tone-lump, you will get the classic tube sound that you cannot beat.

Metalheads and crunchies, this amp is not for you. The amp lacks in its muted "thump" that metal needs. However, if this amp is turned up to "6" or above on overdrive, you metalheads will be pleased. This amp is for the hardcore classic people such as myself. Chuck Barry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Freddie King, all of these artists' sounds can be re-created using this amazing amplfier. I have been playing for just under a year and I do not need another high-end amplifier, nor will I anytime soon. I would definitely buy this amp again were it stolen, it matches me perfectly. If I could fix something on this guitar, it would be the sensitivity of the volume, but since this is a professional amplifier, I will not complain. This amp is not meant to be used in a small room like my own. My favorite feature it has is the versatility of the tone, from all different eras of classic rock and blues. Keep the classics alive with this amp.

This amp sure seems to be solid, but due to its weight and its open exposed tubes, I sure hope that nothing will bang it too hard from the back. This amp has never broken down and has not needed maintanance. It is difficult to carry around, it weighs a good 70 pounds, but the sound it delivers is worth it. I would definitely use this on stage without a backup, but only if I had to. This is not because of the amplifiers quality, just because it is smart to have a backup at all times.

As a throwback re-issue 2-channel 60watt tube amplifier from the '60s, I was surprised at the modern tones this amplifier can achieve. Of course this amplifier is known for it's blues and classical rock ability, but if the need be, this thing can scream. With versatile settings in the three-band EQ, presence, great reverb, bright or normal, and "drive" and "more drive" settings ("rythm" and "lead" respectively) this amp is exactly the right amp for all of you blues and classic rock fans out there.

outofmyelement?
    I actually own the 4-10... and i prefer it to the 2-12 version. when i tryed each i found that the 2-12 was just to muddy sounding for me. the 4-10s give a lot more bite to your tone... if you like that go for the 4-10
    Zwart
    I like this amp! a friend of my owns it, but he blew it up hehe
    MESAexplorer
    JDawg4098 wrote: MESAexplorer wrote: You contradicted yourself too much in this review...especially when talking about metal heads not liking it. And then telling them they would like it. I've used this ones big brother the 4x10. Its a very loud amp but it doesn't have enough dirt for metal no matter how much you crank it. A DS-1 and a Tubescreamer would bring you to a metalesque sound. Okay then. Let me clarify. Metalheads, you will not like this amplifier until the volume reaches concert-levels. Why? Because the tubes need more room to work. You can reach the tone if needed. But still, you normally wouldnt want to get that tone if you have this amp. p.s. dont claim that the 4x10 is the 2x12's "big brother." They are the same damn amp with different frequency responsive speakers. And I happen to appreciate the bass from the 2x12 more so than the 4x10.
    If you had to carry either of the 2 you would realize why i called the 410 its big brother.
    axejam123
    Yeah, unless you have a good pedal/processor, this amp is not for the metal player. I have the 4x10, and couldn't like it more. Its really versatile, especially since i couple it with a Digitech processor. I can get all the ranges I want, plus it's ridiculously loud. I've played in club size locations and it's been on volume 3-5 ish.
    JDawg4098
    MESAexplorer
    Mul
    Can anybody of you tell me the price and where i can get it?
    JDawg4098
    Sorry guys i dont know why it says Price Paid=$0. I filled that out to $700, i guess it didnt go through or something. To clarify, I paid $700
    guitr323
    I just got this amp and am incredibly impressed with it. I'm using a Fender Tele and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with it and both sound amazing. The Les Paul especially gets this amazing deep bluesy tone that I love.
    highway61
    Hells_Bell : highway61 wrote: i have a fender hot rod deluxe which seems like the exact same thing. $600 US dollars. great review by the way Yeah, the hot rod is a smaller version of the hot rod deville and it kicks ass. exactly 40 watts instead of 60. still loud as hell though and leaps up at 2
    RevRock
    I've got a deluxe myself. The Deville comes with a choice of 4-10" speakers or 2-12" speakers. I've played both side by side before, personally, I'd take the 2x12. If you want a great gigging combo tube amp that won't blow your bank account like a Marshall stack, I would certainly advise looking into the Hot Rod series. They usually run approx. 600-900 USD between the deluxe and the deville.
    Korzack
    Sounds great to me. Been looking at fender amps, for a more flexible amp - marshalls seem a bit too metallic for my liking, & these interest me a lot. Nice review, now where can i conjure 600 from...
    Hells_Bell
    Yeah, the hot rod is a smaller version of the hot rod deville and it kicks ass.
    highway61
    si!
    does anyone know how much this weighs? musicians friend says it's 54 lb, but says the 4x10 is 50 lb so i'm not sure.