Hot Rod DeVille 212 review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod DeVille 212

Purchased from: Georges Music

I predominantly use traditional stratocasters. I use it with the Cool Cat by Danelectro and The Daddy O. Both sound very nice through the amp. The amp doesn't need an overdrive pedal but the Daddy O is too good not to use. It suits my style of music perfectly. I play thriving rock and roll, rockabilly, country and punk. For those styles, this amp is perfect but it is nearly incapable of playing metal of any sort unless you have a pedal of some sort. I took a point off for that. Also the distortion isn't that intense but it will get the job done just fine. The clean channel does distort at high volumes but that's not a bad thing at all. It's actually a little nicer than the Drive channel. This amp though is perfect for classic rock and country.

I've been playing for 7 and a half years. I own about nine different guitars, a Boss digital recorder, two basses and a mess of other equipment. I wish my reverb worked. It covered under a 5 year warranty but that means I won't have my amp for 6-8 weeks and so I won't be able to play with my band unless I get a backup. If I lost it or it was stolen I can't imagine getting any amp other than this. It's literally perfect for me. I love the sound, the feel, and the features. I hate the weight and broken reverb. My favorite feature is the bass control on it. It really beefs up my strats. I wasn't able to compare it. It's the first amp I came across and had no intention of buying a new amp but I got this and I'm happy with it. I just wish the reverb worked!

I would never need any amp besides this one. It is perfect for my purpose, has held up for about two years without a problem and hasn't broken down yet. The tubes haven't burned out yet and they've been doing pretty well. This is a very reliable amp and is built like a tank. It's heavy yes, and my reverb has never worked but other than that it's built tough.

I believe it was made in 2006 and it is perfect for the music I play but may not be perfect for everyone. It has two channels with a "More Gain" Switch for the Drive channel. It came with a built in reverb. The reverb on the floor model was part of the reason why I bought it but my reverb is broken unfortunetly. It does not have a headphone jack. I don't need anything more from this amp than they give me. This amp has enough power to supply you with enough sound for some pretty nice size gigs. It's very loud! Every knob goes to twelve and I've never needed to put the volume past three before it gets a bit unbearable in the volume categeory. This is a tube amp and even though it's only 40 Watts this is much louder than my previous Fender FM212 100 Watt amp. It has a bright switch that really lightens up the clean channe. Presence knob that I was looking for after my starter Traynor amp blew and not having one for about five years.

leondb
    The Fender website says the same thing. For some reason the 2x12 weighs a little more.
    PiperFloyd
    I own one of these, picked it up second hand in new condition for just 500 (rrp 750, thats something like $1500 at the moment, eek). All I can say is I will never need another amp. My previous amp was a Peavey Bandit, a good solid state amp, but the difference now is huge. One thing annoys me though - only 1 top handle rather than 2 side ones, its so heavy. Come on Fender, think!