Hot Rod DeVille 212 review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod DeVille 212

Purchased from: Craigslist.com

I play a single-coiled Fender Jaguar through this amp and get unholy tones I didn't think were possible with an amp for less than $1000. The tones range from a bright sweet tone to a nice glassy smooth tone with the flick of a switch. This amp suits my musical style very well, a mix of funk, jazz, and rock. Although, with the right pedals, this amp can truly rumble the ground with it's 60 watts of power. I wouldn't be surprised to see this amp play metal: it's extremely versatile for a Fender amp, which get the image of not being able to play higher-gain sounds. When I punch on my Big Muff, this amp gives out an incredibly fuzzy, punkish sound, great for choppy powerchords, blistering solos and beautiful legato. This amp sounds amazing.

After 4 years of playing, two on this amp, I'll say that this amp has me set for life. I don't ever plan on selling stop using this amp because it just plain works for me. If it were stolen, I'd be pissed off, as mine is tweed, a very rare color for the Deville lineup. This amp is for anyone looking for some sweet tones. The only thing I wish it had was a direct output so it could be plugged into an interface or mixer, so I wouldn't have to mic it when recording.

I've had to replace the same tube twice, but besides that, I've never had any problems with it. I haven't gigged it yet, but I'm sure that if I did, it would do the job well. It's durable and large, but don't move it around too much when the tubes are still warm, it could risk blowing a tube. Also, this amp is heavy, weighing in at over fifty pounds. So remember to be careful when moving this guy around, it's not easy.

This amp is nice and basic, two channels, one clean, one overdriven with two types of overdive, "drive" and "more drive". Although many guitarist find the overdrive on this amp to be lacking, I personally like it's overdrive quite a bit. The knobs are all standard with an extra knob for Reverb and one for Presence. The only thing that could improve this amps features would be a direct output which would be essential for recording.

paul codespoti
    i paid over $2000 aus.4 years ago for a fender hot rod deville and i just sold it for a grand. the worse amp i have ever owned.It seems to me that fender hasnt made a decent amp in about 20 years.
    gibson243
    gibson243
    MESAexplorer wrote: JDawg4098 wrote: MESAexplorer wrote: You contradicted yourself too much in this review...especially when talking about metal heads not liking it. And then telling them they would like it. I've used this ones big brother the 4x10. Its a very loud amp but it doesn't have enough dirt for metal no matter how much you crank it. A DS-1 and a Tubescreamer would bring you to a metalesque sound. Okay then. Let me clarify. Metalheads, you will not like this amplifier until the volume reaches concert-levels. Why? Because the tubes need more room to work. You can reach the tone if needed. But still, you normally wouldnt want to get that tone if you have this amp. p.s. dont claim that the 4x10 is the 2x12's "big brother." They are the same damn amp with different frequency responsive speakers. And I happen to appreciate the bass from the 2x12 more so than the 4x10. If you had to carry either of the 2 you would realize why i called the 410 its big brother.
    its not its big brother at all they are pretty much the same size. only 2" in hight but the 410 isnt as wide as the 212 so its not its "big brother" at all dumb ****.
    fleh
    gibson243 wrote: JDawg4098 wrote: MESAexplorer wrote: You contradicted yourself too much in this review...especially when talking about metal heads not liking it. And then telling them they would like it. I've used this ones big brother the 4x10. Its a very loud amp but it doesn't have enough dirt for metal no matter how much you crank it. A DS-1 and a Tubescreamer would bring you to a metalesque sound. Okay then. Let me clarify. Metalheads, you will not like this amplifier until the volume reaches concert-levels. Why? Because the tubes need more room to work. You can reach the tone if needed. But still, you normally wouldnt want to get that tone if you have this amp. p.s. dont claim that the 4x10 is the 2x12's "big brother." They are the same damn amp with different frequency responsive speakers. And I happen to appreciate the bass from the 2x12 more so than the 4x10. exactly!!! the 410 and 212 are the same fkn price!! same wattage just for different styles of music.
    these quotes are getting kinda outa hand
    tmd9314
    I played the deluxe 1-12 and the deville 2-12 recently I gotta say I love them. The gain isn't good for metal but put it on a rock setting and add an overdrive to it and your all set. The clean channel is amazingly clear warm and bright at the same time. It overdrives wonder fully when cranked. The reverb is amazing. I plaed a fender lite ash strat through the deville and now I'm set on getting it once I have the money.
    gtk4158a
    I bought this amplifier and am pretty pleased with it so far.Really LOUD!! The overall quality seems to be Much better then expected with its 800.00 u.s. price tag. I really dont ever see buying another amplifier again But i will have to get a effects proccessor because i want a heavy crunch tone. This amp is Heavy and unless you are a total pussy that shouldnt be a problem. Also heavy isnt always a bad thing so dont whine about the weight, Go to the gym!! I wish fender had put straps on the side though just for you girly men.The open back is a mixed blessing in the sence that it helps cool the tubes but they are somewhat exposed but not as bad as some might claim. This amp has some useful effects.This amp shines as far as clean tones go. But this amp and a good effects proccessor and you wont find yourself lacking or wanting again
    gtk4158a
    gtk4158a wrote: I bought this amplifier and am pretty pleased with it so far.Really LOUD!! The overall quality seems to be Much better then expected with its 800.00 u.s. price tag. I really dont ever see buying another amplifier again But i will have to get a effects proccessor because i want a heavy crunch tone. This amp is Heavy and unless you are a total pussy that shouldnt be a problem. Also heavy isnt always a bad thing so dont whine about the weight, Go to the gym!! I wish fender had put straps on the side though just for you girly men.The open back is a mixed blessing in the sence that it helps cool the tubes but they are somewhat exposed but not as bad as some might claim. This amp has some useful effects.This amp shines as far as clean tones go. Buy this amp and a good effects proccessor and you wont find yourself lacking or wanting again
    SylvaShredder
    So how loud would I have to get this thing for the tubes to start warming up and overdriving? I'm honestly new to the whole 'all-tube' deal, and I was wondering if I wanted the natural overdrive if I would need to pick up a smaller amp model.. I would use it for playing in my highschool jazzband, playing with a bunch of different groups and playing an occasional 50-70 person venue.. Just wondering.. PM me if possible, if not, I'll just come back here, thanks
    gtk4158a
    Classic rock fans, this thing howls! Beware though, past "4" it is crazy loud...Like that is a bad thing? Truly it will "melt paint" !!
    ramses_s18
    f-in love this amp. best thing I ever could have done. Im in a pretty loud band and I've never turned it past 4. I wouldnt recommend the distortion on it for metal though. tone tone tone.