Hot Rod DeVille 410 review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod DeVille 410

Purchased from: Charley's Guitar SHop

I use this amp with my G&L Tribute which is basically a Fender Stratocaster. With the standard 3 Strat pickups. This amp puts out this classic Fender sound, which I love and is perfect for my blues/classic rock style. It can get really loud but it doesn't have to be to retain it's tone. It plays great live in small to medium gigs, nothing like an arena, but great for pretty big bar. I use it at the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas, which is pretty large. Good for outdoors as well. There is a large difference between clean and Drive, you can tweak the sound a lot by just altering the settings. I don't this much because I like to stick with one sound; it isn't the best variety of sounds but it is very good. The clean channel is pure cleanliness and the Drive channel doesn't have insane distortion but it's really crunchy in a blues sort of way. I rate it a 10 for my style of playing.

This is a great match for my style, which is blues and classic rock. I have been playing nearly 2 years, and I'm on a budget so I only own a guitar besides this amp, a G&L Tribute (it's very good). If I had to get a new amp for some reason and I had a limited amount of money, I would definitely buy it again. Fender is a brand that I trust and I want to stick with it.

I know I can depend on this amp and I would definitely use it without a backup; it was built to last and I hope I will have it for many more years to come. It has never broken down on me; I take great care of it as I do with any amp. So with proper care, I'm sure this amp won't easily break. It has a very durable cover as well.

This amp was made in 1997. It has 5 tubes; 2 Fender 6L6 Groove tubes and 3 Fender 12AX7 Groove Tubes. It outputs 60 watts into 4 or 7 ohms. Also, it has 4-10" Special Design Eminence 8 ohm, 30 watt Speakers Very versatile, three channels: clean, Drive, and more Drive. I play a lot of blues and classic rock and it is great for both. However I don't recommend it for heavy metal, shred metal, speed metal, or anything of that nature. It comes with a footswitch pedal for changing the channel while playing, which I use a lot. No headphone jack but it does have an effects loop, however I do not use many effects. It has everything that I need; it had two input jacks, a power amp in jack for effects pedals, and a preamp in for hooking up auxiliary amps. This amp is great for practice and gigs. When I practice both my guitar and amp are at 2 or 3, so it is very loud. All the knobs go up to 12(it's one better than Spinal Tap's amps). It has a clean volume knob, a master volume knob, Drive knob, bass, treble, and middle knobs, reverb and presence knobs.

axejam123
    I have this amp, and its ridiculous. if you put it on the drive setting, crank the bass and midrange, but set the drive to verrrrry low (like 1.5), it has a pretty clean but grainy sound that's very tube sounding. then hit your boss os-2 overdrive/distortion pedal, and youve got an all-tube, warm, heavy sound that puts this-price-range marshalls to shame. i play pretty much everything (i was jamming dragonforce then switched to velvet revolver this morning ) and between this amp and my os-2, i can sound like anybody.
    Ashar78
    I work in a music store and we got one of these in. The clean tone is what you can expect from a fender tube amp, which is freaking sweet, and the drive is a real broken up sort of sounding distortion. Great for not just blues and clasic rock but can even fit that sort of ruff 90's grunge. But yeah chuck a pedal in front of this amp and you can easly go heavier. The tubes seem to boost the pedals quality and creates a really full surounding sound. Thinking bout getting one. just a matter of money. Sick as amp though.
    cws92
    Just got my 4x10 three weeks ago and have practiced and gigged with it - it has tone for days and kept up with my partner's Randall half stack (T2 or V2 - not sure). The reactions I got from just taking off the amp cover were great (lots of wows!), it got even better when I cranked it up and started in on Zep's "The Ocean" - even I was impressed with the sound this amp makes.
    Brian 1.0
    ACDClover31 wrote: are there any marshalls that compare to this amp in price and sound quality?
    No way, not in cleans at least.
    lastlivingboy
    Other than that, this amp is amazing. Beautiful, sparkling and warm clean tones, and with a good overdrive or distortion pedal, you can get some really lush, warm overdrives, too. Excellent amp. I have played few that match up to this one.
    lastlivingboy
    The only thing I have found about this amp that startled me was that the signal starts to break up at around three with a pretty fair amount of distortion. I guess that's normal, though.
    MT in Austin
    leondb wrote: Has anyone tried both the 4x10 and 2x12 Deville amplifiers yet? I only got to sample the 2x12 and am curious how different they sound.
    To my ears, the 2x12 is a darker sounding amp than the 4x10. The 4x10 has better high-end sparkle. Again, this is just to my ears.
    MT in Austin
    Just bought one last week. It is sweet. Amazing cleans. That's what I look for. I can get a pedal to make anything dirty but I have to start with a good clean sound. The spring reverb (long tank) is very lush almost too thick but you can turn the level down. BTW, this baby is LOUD! Sweet controllable feedback even at lower volumes (facing the amp). The 410 has a much sweeter sound than the 212. You can find 212s at pawnshops every day of the year. You rarely see a 410, unless someone has abused it.
    Shablibbit
    blues-man wrote: i dont have one yet.... but yes i want one and it sounds perfect for the rich tones from SRV to BB king
    If you are looking for that type of tone, you definitely want to either overdrive the clean channel with a ts-808 (or something with similar qualities) or just crank the clean channel. The overdrive on this amp is really intense and loud as hell and I only use it when I want to use the wah pedal. The clean channel on this amp has that warm + crisp + ringy tone.
    Gibson_Rocker13
    damn i want one of these but i cant afford it all i got it some 100 watt yamaha solid state the blows
    Shablibbit
    leondb wrote: Also I was wondering if this is an all tube, or is it tubed only on the preamp stage and solid state on the power supply? I'm not very clear on it. Here's the specifications on fender.com in comparison with the specs for the Super-Sonic. Model Name Hot Rod DeVille 212 Series Hot Rod Series Type All tube preamp and power amp Model Name Super-Sonic 112 Combo (Black/Pepper) Series Pro Tube Series Type Tube Guitar Amplifier
    It is most certainly all tube
    lazlow325i
    i just got the 4x10 after trying out both that and the 2x12. the 4x10 just sounded a bit warmer, but there wasn't a huge difference in sounds.
    leondb
    leondb
    blues-man
    Weybl Himself
    I dunno about the 4x10, but a tubescreamer into the Deville 2x12 sounds absolutely incredible for a really driving hard rock tone (with the right guitar of course) I don't own one yeat (just played a mates 2x12) but I'm saving up as we speak for the 4x10 and a tubescreamer, I just fell in love with the cleans and the way it sounds with the TS.