Hot Rod DeVille 410 review by Fender

Fender: Hot Rod DeVille 410

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: 2ndhand

The Fender DeVille 410 is an American/Mexican made guitar amplifier, it has 4x10" speakers and weights about 50 lbs (23 kg) it has a clean and overdrive channel, great sounding distortion and comes with a footswitch. Unlike the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 III this one still has the mirror like control panel. The footswitch is made in Mexico. It has a preamp input, power out input and footswitch input, it has a master volume control, standard EQ, volume control, more drive option, drive control. All controls go up to twelve (because 10 isn't enough!)

I mostly play classic rock, funk, alternative, the tone is great and warm, the clean channel is sounds perfect when playing anything from surf rock to pop to funk. It has a standy and on/off switch like most tube amps, the distortion channel is perfect if you want to play Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin. You can active the overdrive channel with the footswitch which is included, you can also use it to put on some extra overdrive. It sounds great with stomp boxes and multi effects, I do recommend to turn the amp modeling on your multi fx off (if you're using a Vox Tonelab like me) or else it may get a little noisy. It also has a great reverb sound like most fender amps.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm sure I can count on it while playing live. The only thing that's a bit annoying is the weight. Since it weighs about 23 kilos (50 lbs) you might want to buy some sort of flight case or put wheels under the amp to transport it. I think it'll last a long time, I wouldn't mind if there'd be some scratches on the amp itself since I'm a fan of reliced amps and guitars. I'm thinking of using a mic whenever I'm gigging with it. I'm sure I could use this amp without a back up, just be sure, if you gig or play with it, that you have enough space between the back of the amp and the wall/back of the stage.

It fits perfectly with my musical style, I'd buy it again if I'd get stolen, I like the chickenhead knobs and the switches, I do recommend buying some sort of flightcase for the amp, or extra handles. Before the fender I used Roland amps and a torque sound system, since the Roland amps are solid state amps, the sound from the fender amp is a big difference, mostly due to the tubes. My favorite feature is the drive channel, the drive/distortion sounds very analog, not too digital, which is always great. The amp itself hasn't got any other modeling channels, because for a good sound you only need 2 channels, a clean channel and a distortion/drive channel.