M-80 Chorus review by Fender

Fender: M-80 Chorus

Purchased from: eBay

I use it mainly on the bridge pickup with my Fender stratocaster, playing alot of classic rock and blues. My style, well I don't honestly have a definitive style yet but I play basically everything except metal, and in that case I would not recommend this amp for a metal player. It's only noisy if the overdrive is too high or if you have certain pickup settings on the guitar. It can make many different sounds with a wide variety. The clean channel is great and only gets distorted if the bass or midrange is too high. The distortion is as brutal as you set it, but the more brutal the more likely you are to get feedback.

I feel this amp could do just about any style although a few effects pedals never hurt to enhance specifically whatever sound you're going for. I have been playing for about three years. I own a vintage Dean Markley amp, a crappy First Act starter amp, A beautiful American Fender Stratocaster, A JS 100 Ibanez, and another Ibanez of which model I forget. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again sepecially considering the price I got it for. I love most of it, I am slightly disappointed at the feedback you get on the overdrive when certain pickups are in use on my guitar. I compared it to other Fender amps, Marshall amps, and Vox amps and decided on this. I chose this one because it was in great condition, 80 watts, made by Fender a reliable company, had chorus, reverb and overdrive, a footswtich, and was less than $200 what a steal! I wish had even more effects, but for this price that would almost be robbing.

I believe I could depend on it most certainly, despite being over 10 years old at least, it works great and I can't see that changing anytime soon. To my knowledge the amp has never broken down. Although I would have no choice otherwise, I would use it on a gig with a backup, with confidence. The fact that it has lasted 10 years or more should show that it was built to last and has proven to be reliable and durable.

The amp was made somewhere between the late '80s to early '90s in the USA. It has 2 channels, distorted and clean and you can add chorus to either one, and it has channel switching through the footswitch. It has effect's loops jacks and a headphone jack. I wish it had bass, mid, and treble on the overdrive, I use all the features on the amp being; reverb, chorus and overdrive. I use this amp in my room currently and plan on using it at gigs in the future. It has plenty of power at 80 watts, and sounds bigger than that. It is a solid state amp.

budfan81
    I have the first addition of the amp (the first addition had the grey colored carpeting, the second addition had the black colored carpeting). I bought it back in late 91 and have used it (and abused it) for over 16 years. I play mostly blues and some classic rock and this amp is the best for the money. The clean tone you get from this amp is the best I've ever heared next to the Fender Pro Reverb. I don't use any additional effects except for a wah pedal. The chorus is better than any pedal I have found and can add a very rich feel on the clean channel. It can also be very nice for playing any a lot of late 60's and early 70's tunes such as Pink Floyd. If you come across one of these amps or the M-80 (which is the same except for it is only 40 watts and doesn't have the built in chorus) I would highly recommend picking it up.