M-80 Chorus review by Fender

Fender: M-80 Chorus

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: eBay

I play my Epiphone g400 and my Status (strat replica) through the amp, both guitars perform well with it, although the Status performs best. It suits the blues and rock I play very well and the clean channel is perfect for Johnny Cash-esque country (particulary with single coil pick ups) I have play some metal through it, but I wouldn't recommend as a metal amp. The only time's it has been noisey for me is when I turn the distortion too high. The amps sound is very versatile, but like I said, it doesn't perform to it's beswt with metal. The clean channel is far better than on any other amp I have played and will become distorted if it is set too bassy.

The amp perfectly suits my style of playing, although I might buy a distortion pedal to help out a bit with playing some metal. I've been playing probably 4 years and have only ever owned solid state amps, but this is by far the best. If it was stolen or lost and I could get another cheap I would have no doubts about getting it. I love the way it perfectly suits my Status with single coil pick ups and the only thing I hate is that at times it's hard to get a particulary bassy tone out of it. I compared this amp to a Vox Valvetronix and several Kustom amps. I choose this because of it's beautiful clean channel. I'm very happy with the amp as it is.

The amps a fair age as it is and seems to be solid and reliable. I would gig it without a backup, no worries. It seems to handle being carted around on the back of a ute through the bush to go to practice and I have never had any problems with it, nor do I expect to in the near future.

I have the first addition model with the grey carpet and I think it was made in the late 80s to early 90s. I've played rock, blues, country and even some metal through the amp and it's been able to take it all. It has 2 channels, clean and distorted. Although I bought mine second hand without the footswitch, it does have the option for one. It also has headphone and effects loop jacks. Both the chorus and reverb features I have found to be very good and I use them both. I use this amp at home and at band practice and intend to gig it. It's 80 watts, but is by far the loudest 80 watt amp I've ever heard.