Mini Tone-Master review by Fender

Fender: Mini Tone-Master

Purchased from: Johnny Roadhouse Music

I'm using this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul, which is a Twin-humbucking guitar, and I've put a pair of Seymour Duncan '59 models in. It suits my music style very well, that is old school with a bit of mod-rock thrown in, but mostly old school sounds, so I sometimes touch on the gain, but not often, I prefer the clean tone of my LP, and it delivers that tone very well indeed. It can be quite noisy, for a two-watt amp, but that's only if you start turning the gain up, other than that, it's a nice amp for just sitting around at home, but you get the sense if you start to push the gain up, it'll blow quite easily. The amp has quite a limited variety, owing mostly to the fact it's a mini, but work with the tone knob and volume and fiddle with the guitar, and it'll give you something in the region of what you're looking for. The clean channel does distort at high volumes especially when you're in 'rhythm'. Other than that, it's fine for some good, clean solos. The distortion can be quite brutal when you want it to be, but I very rarely touch the gain, so I wouldn't be best at answering this.

The amp is a good match for whatever style of music you play, and is probably the most portable amp around. I've been playing about a year now, and own a pair of Fender 30-watt amps, and a 250 watt HH speaker cab and head. It looks a leetle bit small in comparison next to these, but it's still good for "quiet time". I only regret not buying the mini Marshall stack to go with it, they both look so comical, and they actually work. I would probably buy the Marshall if it were lost or stolen, purely out of interest, it's not a very expensive unit, so it wouldn't bither me that much. I love the fact everyone laughs when they see it, and then the look on their faces when it makes noise. I only wish it was a bit more powerful, say 5 watts. I would comparte this to the Mini Marshall Stack, I didn't choose this, it was a gift, but personally I would have both, it's just a loyalty to Fender I suppose.

I wouldn't use this at a gig, because it's smaller than my foot, but I would use it for some last minute Backstage practice, I play lead, so it's a really good amp if you want to go over that solo once again. The amp has never broken down, but I suspect it'll blow in the not too distant future, probably because it's always on full volume, and my rhythm guitarist keeps putting the gain up (he's a bit of a metalhead).

MY Fender Mini-Twin amp was made in 2000. The amp is as versatile as a 2-watt mini amp can be, but for me covers a nice range of tones. As it's a lowly mini-amp, it only has an input jack, but the gain gives quite a good distorted sound. I only wish it had EQs, as such, it only has a tone knob. I use this amp at home, in the garden, basically whenever I can't be bothered to lug my bigger amps around, I just carry it wherever, or sometimes clip it onto my belt. It has enough power for just practicing alone, but it's always on full volume.