Mustang I review by Fender

Fender: Mustang I

Price paid: £ 97.2

Purchased from: Westside Music Centres

I bought this amplifier for practice, so I never need it that loud, although it can make quite a racket if you want it to. I'm using it through a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat and it sounds fantastic, although some presets on there sound pretty bad with it, but I haven't fiddled around with the FUSE software yet, which can help me make a better one to replace it. I love my Rock music; Led Zepplin, Hendrix etc, and this amp ticks every box for every one. The presets, modulations and DLY/REV can all be mixed and matched to make countless numbers of sounds, and since both the DLY/REV and Modulation banks can be changed as well, I haven't found a Genre of music that can't be played through this beast. Top Marks.

I've been playing almoust a year now and this is my 3rd amp, my 2nd practice one, and my overall favourate. If it were stolen or lost then I would lock myself in the shed and slowly cry myself sleep untill I forgot I had it. (Which wouldn't take long, I'm a dumbass)My favourate feature is easily the Preset dial, but I don't think someone would buy a modelling amp if it wasn't. Compare it to other amplifiers of it's price, and you WILL buy this, hands down; a modelling amp for this price is unbelievably great.

It's quite light for it's size, (well, lighter than other 15W-20W amplifiers I've used that are it's size) and I haven't bashed it around too much, but it looks quite durable; except the interface, which looks quite delicate. It's never broken down on me (yet) and I hope it never will, because it's fantastic. If it were bigger and louder, obviously, then I think this would be durable enough for a gig.

Made Fresh this year, in 2010, in China. Being a modelling amplifier, it can cover a range of styles and sounds, which can be customised further if you wish by using the Fender FUSE software. A simple interface, with Gain, Volume, Treble, Bsss, Master Volume; and and then the three modelling dialls, Preset, Modulation and Delay/Reverb. I bought the Mustang I, which is a 20W amp with an 8' speaker, but for people who need more power on their amplifier will probably opt for the Mustang II, which is a 40W amp with a 12' Fender Special Speaker.

Sam Wotrey
    which is a 40W amp with a 12' Fender Special Speaker.
    Wow, a 12 foot speaker? That's br00tal.
    Linkerman
    Mrfussytabs
    Mrfussytabs wrote: i played throught this amp yesterday and boy, does it RING on the twin reverb setting. does anyone know if it comes with the usb cable that is needed for connection to the computer? and if you wanted to record with it would i use my regular 1/4->usb cable or the cable that may or may not come with it??
    never mind just googled it =P. for anyone whos wondering this comes with; 1.the cable, 2.ablton live lite 8 Fender edition software, 3.IK multimedias amplitude LE software, 4.as well as their coveted FUSE software. BUY THIS NOW BECAUSE THEYRE LETTING US ROB THEM BLIND.
    MetalheadforJC
    Sam Wotrey wrote: which is a 40W amp with a 12' Fender Special Speaker. Wow, a 12 foot speaker? That's br00tal.
    LMFAO!
    Scaff_UK
    Mrfussytabs
    Scaff_UK
    Linkerman wrote: Scaff_UK wrote: Personally for the same/similar money the Vox VT15 would get my vote. More amp models, more effects and a valve stage. Having used both in my opinion the Vox sounds better as well. Ever since the Mustang came out, it became my favourite modelling practice amp. I always prefered the Vox VT series for clean/low gain tones (compared to the Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube, which i prefer for heavy gain tone), but the Mustang stole the VT's throne, imo. It just felt and sounded better to me. And since you mentioned it, the tube in the VT's power amp didn't make any difference when i A/B'ed the two amps next to each other.
    Have to agree to disagree on that one. My back to back was done with a Mustang II and a VT30 and when driven hard the Vox came out on top for me, that the power level allows you to do that easily on the Vox was also a big draw. Must confess however that the FUSE software is nice, my step-dad (who teaches guitar professionally) uses it with his G-DEC and it is a nice bit of software.
    Sam Wotrey
    So how is the quality of recording through the USB cable? Because with my VYPYR 75 it is CRAP .
    HoddiDarko
    A nice review. I would like to try this amp out. If I would have to practice in a small space and not being able to blow everything away with my Mesa all the time, I would definitely consider some of these modeling amps to use as a practice amp.
    KidZero
    just got this amp two days ago and it is awesome the variety of sounds you can create are great and the presets are so fine.
    intotheend
    brittondejong wrote: I agree with scaff_UK... I have tried this fender mustang garbage and it comes nowhere near the vox valvetronix. I bought a vox velvetronix vt50 and it is amazing. You can be a cheap skate and big this peice of shit or you can save up a couple hundred and dominate. Dont buy this amp...
    That's a bit harsh haha, I'm playing on a VOX VT30, (which I chose over the Mustang II)but these aren't bad amps, they both sounded good using my Schecter on them, it's just that the Vox is more well rounded and maybe even easier to use
    brittondejong