Mustang I review by Fender

Fender: Mustang I

Purchased from: Whitehouse of Music West Bend WI

I am playing a Ibanez AS73B, which is a semi-hollow body..it sounded like crap with the factory presets, but once you use the the included Fuse software to goof around with presets my world opened up. I also have a dirt-cheap Lyon strat copy which I bought a few years back to play with the kids to see if we could learn together, this thing actually sounds passable now with the Mustang - Jack White would be proud. I have to downgrade it a bit, because currently, without the software presets. It is really hard to find a onboard setting combination that works... If you are going to try this out in the store, make sure they have a PC interfaced with the FUSE software, otherwise you are not going to witness this things full potential. I am guessing once you've mastered the settings the Mustang is not going to have an equal in this price range, so it is hard to not rate it a 15 out of 10 compared to the rest. Off-the-shelf it might sound like poo - my Ibanez sure did. I have to down-grade just for this reason, although it may not be fair. Bottom-line, this will, and is sounding great, but it is definitely not a painless, plug-n-play experience - if you don't have a PC I would not get this amp. There is no mid-range dial on the amp... There is this and presence and more when using the FUSE software.

I attempt to/play many different styles - with all the available sounds... Not an issue, an excellent match. I have not been playing for long, but have been listening forever. Amps have come a long way. Before the Mustang I was planning on getting either Amplitube 3 and the connection or a Line 6 Pod - no longer think I need to do that at this point. This amp will keep your sound & your interest leve peaked for awhile. Honestly, I don not have any clue what more I could ask for in a $99 expense, nice work Fender!

LOUD... Built like a bricksh1thouse. Solid all-around, fully enclosed, grill is tight and woven strong. Knobs & connections are not very heavy-duty, but you get what you pay for. I can't see any other concerns in this category for the money, don't let the non-10 dissuade you.

Wow... I called and then drove 20 miles to pick up a Peavey Vyper 15 and the clerk screwed up because they didn't have one in stock, that turned out to be a happy mistake. Tons of features, but you need to hook it up to a PC to take advantage of them all and there is a learning curve, at least for a newbie like me. The amp was made in 2010.

Shotgunmerc
    zegoose wrote: Hi i am looking for some degree of versatility in an amp (without using any pedals) - hoping to get a decent blues sound and a good sound for death metal. Please tell me which amp I should choose between Vox VT20+, Roland Cube 20XL and Fender Mustang 1. Thanks!
    Definitely the Mustang. I'm not too familiar with the Roland Cube but between the Vox and the Mustang I'd say the Mustang. Look for my review shortly and hopefully it will explain why.
    cranked211
    I bought this amp after looking at a lot of choices. For the price you can't beat it.the only major thing that bugs me is the tuner lights are directly behind a knob so you have to look at them from above. If you are a tube tone snob your not going to dig the obvious modeling tone but the dsp makes it play like a tube amp which is cool. I've found if you crank the clean setting and get the speaker to break up a little you can get some nice natual overdrive as well. If you play through head phones or at low volume (apartment dwellers) this amp is perfect. tons of fun for low dough. I also have a vt15 and if you want cool blues tones nice overdrives its the way to go. But through head phones you lose alot. but you will pay alot more 99 vs 285.
    bhatta
    Try Peavey Rage258, if u want bluez sound in $99. This is crap according to me...