Mustang I review by Fender

Fender: Mustang I

Purchased from: Best Buy

I play contemporary Christian music through a Squier Tele. I typically use the 65 TR, Brit 60's, and 59 Bassman settings with a few effects. I really like the clean 65 TR sound for the older songs. It is noisy on the metal settings but I don't use them anyway, quiet on all the others.

Overall it is a great little amp for what you get and I would recommend it for a practice amp to anyone. I compared it to the Roland cube and almost went with it but decided to try the Fender instead. As I said I wish it had 1/4" jacks, other than that, no complaints.

I won't be using the Mustang 1 for church much longer due to the issue I mentioned above. I am thinking about the Floor or the Mustang IV. I want a 1/4" jack to output for sure. I am not sure if those two models use the same out jacks, if so I will have to look at something else.

The amp is quite versatile for what I play in our church Praise & Worship team. It has more features than I am likely to use, but for the price it was quite a deal. I run the headphone out to a DI box for the house sound and it does a fine job. My only issue is the quality of the 1/8" jack. The jack is loose now although it still works. A few light tugs was all it took. I originally bought it for practice at home which is where it will stay when I upgrade.

MaggaraMarine
    rv_phoenix wrote: Another combination of Fender's "bang-for-the-bucks" and despicable modelling technology. The result is a toy, not an amp. Only someone completely deprived of musical sense can succomb at its charms. Tube snob? Is that what you call someone who dosen't accept to be cheated by "emulated" sounds? (Btw, this Mustang has such a bad speaker, than any discussion about sound is just ridiculous.)
    You are maybe a bit too rude but what you said is true. I haven't tried this amp but every modeling amp I have tried hasn't sounded good. They are OK if you are looking for your sound and maybe your style and don't know what to do. Then a modeling amp is good. But for anything else, just no. I have tried Line 6 Spider (very fake sounding, lacked the "presence"), VOX Valvetronix (very muddy, didn't like at all) and Roland (Micro)Cube (it was OK as my first practice amp). But after moving to a tube amp they all just lack something. So my advice is: If you have found your style just buy a tube amp or if you can't afford it, buy a full analog solid state. They sound better than digital amps in my experience. And all the built in effects have been pretty weak in the amps I have tried. First get some information about how they sound, check out some youtube videos, and then buy the effects you need. You will not need everything these modeling amps have. I have only one effect at the moment (chorus) but I can survive with it. I don't even need any other effects, delay could be nice but not necessary. And what do they cost? A single pedal is something like $50-100.