Mustang I review by Fender

Fender: Mustang I

Purchased from: eBay

This a very compact amplifier, in a light weight box frame, I think the wood is MDF which is put together well. It has an 8" speaker and is a solid 20w, which is pretty loud if you need it to be. Comes with lots of different amp modelling sounds and effects, which I are too many to list here, but can be best described as a multi effects unit within an amp, also includes tuner and ability to store settings.

I wouldn't put stompboxes through it because I don't think it would be a great sound, but also because the effects and distortions are pretty good on the amp already. The controls are well laid out and easy to use - the effects section lacks any indication of the effects settings, so unless you have a good memory or the manual to hand its impossible to know where all the different settings are, which is a shame..

It has a USB port to link it with your PC using the Fender Fuse software where you can change all settings on your amp. The Fuse software is a doddle to use and allows you to play with lots of cool effects and set ups. You an also plug in a mp3 play via a headphone socket, but it sounds pretty bad, but some may find this useful.

For a cheap 20w solid state amp it isn't bad at all. I use Ibanez and Fender guitars and both play very solidly through the little speaker. When pushed the amp holds wells. I played it up against a mates Vox AC30 and it didn't fair well against a tube amp for presence, but in your house it sounds great, perfect for home practicing or small jams. The effects and modelling is all done very well and sounds authentic. The amp modelling are quite good, my favourites are the Fender Reverb and '90s amp. Delays are good and you can control the tempo on this and things like the tremolo which is handy.

For a practice amp, I am sure it will be as reliable as anything on the market of a similar type. Its a tough box and I've had it in the back of my car many times and it looks no worse for being transported about. Its small but has a nice finish as you would expect from Fender. I can't see myself taking this to a gig or even a band jam as it would get swallowed up quite easily, its loud for a practice amp and will no doubt drive your neighbours potty, but its no monster and couldn't hold its own against a drum kit or tube amps. I see this as a home rocker for Sunday afternoon jams with your iPhone! So it will last you as long as you need I am sure.

In my opinion its a pretty good, versatile amp. Well made, nice brand and just does what you want an amp of this nature to do - it does this and a bit more. My only gripes are the effects listings aren't on the amp so this is frustrating. Also, the Fuse software isn't all that inspiring, its fun to have a play with, but you get bored of it pretty quickly, I think younger guitarists will like it more than I did, as an older chap I didn't have much patience for it after a while. It positives outweigh it negatives, so it is really good buy and brilliant as a home practice or beginners amp- other similar amps may be a bit easier to use, but for this money you can't really go wrong.

redshift21
    I bought one of these a few weeks back to use as my practice amp, this is my first foray into modeling amps but it won't be my last, I love this little thing!! I should add I got the newer Mustang 1 (V2)
    ayushsinha2000
    this or roland cube 20gx? I like everything from clean to hard rock maybe an option for metal later on as well