Mustang II review by Fender

Fender: Mustang II

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Mall Music

I've used this with a variety of guitars ranging from a Jackson RR3 and modified JS30KE, an Agile Interceptor Pro 727, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through each preset playing everything from blues to death metal. For blues, pop, and rock it handles itself pretty well, depending on the preset you use. For anything heavier than ACDC though, this amp becomes harder to deal with. The onboard distortion is a bit lack luster, not really making a difference when the gain is turned up past 5. The Metal 2000's preset is the only one with some degree of distortion and even then its pathetically weak. For all things clean and softly distorted though its fantastic. Obviously if your a metal player though Fender isnt your first choice of amplification and this does nothing to change that. I haven't taken the volume above 5 on it yet, but it becomes pretty noisy on the Metal 2000's preset, but all the others are usually quiet. Because the clean presets rescue this amp, I give it a 5.

For the sytles I play, this really isnt an amp I would buy, due to the dismally weak distortion, but I'm not one to turn down a free amp either. For those of you who don't need a whole lot of distortion though, try one out and see if it works for you. The only pro's about having this amp for me are the clean presets which sound better than the ones on my Peavey Vypyr 30. If it were lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't care too much since I don't normally use it alot, but I do have a small soft spot for it. I'd recommend it for blues, soft rock, pop and maybe country players but not anyone else.

Since I play mostly metal in the style of Megadeth to death metal, I wouldn't gig with it, but if I were to play with a rock band I'd definitely consider it. It seems fairly solidly built and it hasn't given out on me once during extended practice sessions in the three months I've had it.

The Fender Mustang series is a new addition to their lineup for 2010. A 40 watt solid state modelling amp featuring presets of: '57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman, '65 Twin Reverb, British 60's, British 80's, American 90's, Super-Sonic, and Metal 2000's, selected via the 'preset' knob which gives access to all 24 'channels' as each setting has three save banks represented by Red, Green and Amber lighting. Also features footswitch capability, a headhone jack and aux input and on board tuner. It comes with a Fender FUSE software disc for further modification. Modulation and Reverb effects also included along with gain, volume, treble, bass and a master volume control knob. Speaker size is 12''.

mikrej
    I have Mustang I, and I must tell this is Very good amp. It have so much presets which we can get for a while. It's really good stuff for me to playing at home.
    jetwash69
    Zandel wrote: MarkWakefield wrote: i highly doubt it You've obviously never played a Marshall MG30dfx. Horrible piece of rubbish.
    This. I have the "Marshall MG30DFX". It's so bad I disconnected amp from the speaker and wired up a jack direct to the speaker. Now I use it as a small cab for venues where my 1960a cab is impractical. Now the Mustang II is a whole other story--the first time I heard one in person was in a blues club and I couldn't believe it wasn't a tube amp. This thing sounded better than the owner's Fender tweed tube amp. You could hear it fine over the drums and PA, and it wasn't even mic'd.
    SheShredsIt
    Re: Mustang III. Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a closer look at that one...