Mustang II review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Fender: Mustang II

When I play through it, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard loaded with a JB in the bridge position and a Jazz in the neck. This amp does great with blues and classic rock tones. Pretty much anywhere from B.B. King to Guns N Roses. Any heavier than that and the distortion sounds terrible. The metal tones sound completely computer generated, and the feedback is unbearable. If you play jazz, this is not the amp for you. I've tried for hours to dial in a jazz tone, but I just can't on the Mustang II.

I play everything from jazz to blues to rock to metal, and it's great for blues and rock, but terrible for jazz and metal. If it were stolen, I'd probably get an amp by Acoustic or Marshall instead just because they can do more of what I like. I love the versatility, but I hate the metal tones. They just sound absolutely terrible.

When it comes to reliability, this amp is pretty solid. I use it every week in gigs without a back-up and I don't fear that it will stop working at all. Then only problem with reliability is that the preset will change without you changing it sometimes. Also every once in a while, when you turn it on, no sound will come out of it. But other than that, it's great!

About 8 months ago, I had quit the band I was in and my 100 watt Crate RFX100 combo was starting to feedback way too much. I didn't need a whole lot of power, so I decided to get the Fender Mustang II 40 watt amp. I chose it because of it's very light, and it has enough power that I can Jam with my buddies, built not so much that playing it in my room will cause my ears to bleed. I paid $200 for it new. I'd have to say that I've been mostly satisfied by it. It has 24 programmable channels, 16 of which you can program with the knobs on the top of the amp. I comes with 3 different pieces of software: a recording software, Fender Fuse (which allows you to program settings on the amp on a computer and share them with other players) and another piece of software that I can't figure out how to use. I'm not a fan of the recording software that it comes with because it doesn't record the sound into an mp3 file. You might be saying, "Well just use a converter to put it in mp3." The problem with that is that I haven't been able to find a converter that works with the file format of the recordings. One big problem I have with this amp is that the foot pedal you can buy for it is pretty much garbage. It switches up the channels, but if you play with more than one band, then it makes it difficult to go through your presets. It comes With a headphone jack and place to plug your iPod, phone, or whatever listening device you use in it. I use it as my stereo when I'm at home, so the sound for mp3's is pretty nice.