Mustang II review by Fender

Fender: Mustang II

Purchased from: GearTree (Amazon.com)

Running my Squier Affinity Strat with stock pickups this makes some decent tones. I've just recently decided to learn guitar and this is my polished turd of a guitar. Playing in a small attic room with hard floors and having the amp on the floor I like the tone and effects that are included. I've gone through all the settings and even modified a few just to see how flexible this amp can be. I really like the clean channel on the Fender and British settings (65 Twin Reverb is my favorite for now). Distortion is adequate for a PRACTICE amp.

Since I'm still learning guitar I haven't found my favorite style yet. I'm more focused on getting my chords and strumming down and practicing with an acoustic once in a while. If I did have a style it would drift between Southern Rock and Power Ballads. I did a lot of reading on this forum and others, before buying the Mustang II. It is exactly what it claims to be, nothing more and certainly nothing less. If you are a beginner like me and you don't want to invest in a ton of equipment just to get the few tones that you like then absolutely get this amp. If you like to just Jam and have a good time, this is plenty of power for small spaces. If you need a backup amp, this might not be the best, but I feel it could hold up for one night. I really like the fact that my cheap Squier now sounds like a real guitar instead of a half dead honking goose. If it was stolen I would get a Mustang IV with the insurance money. The only feature that I would have like to seen would have been a line out jack so it could be used with a half stack, but that isn't what this is for, so I won't bitch about it. I would have to say out of all the amps I've listened to, this is by far the PERFECT PRACTICE AMP EVER! (for me).

Don't know yet how reliable this will be. I don't plan on moving it around a lot so I suppose it will last through a couple of guitars and maybe even hand it down to my grand-daughter. The fake carbon fiber covering looks OK for now, but I see how they glued it down and I expect some lifting in spots if this amp ever gets out of the house.

Bought online last week. Has a good amount of features for a very good price. 24 presets (16 user presets can be modified and saved). Fender Fuse software if you like/need it. 2 preset selectable footswitch option (mine was included in the price). Aux in jack, 3.5mm headphone jack. Memory feature keeps your settings for volume, gain, bass and treble until you turn a knob, this makes setup very important if you are using this to gig or Jam (unexpected volume loss or surge is not the amps fault it only remembers the last setting you did).