Mustang II review by Fender

Fender: Mustang II

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

The sound of this amp is generally ok, except when the volume goes above 7, the amp starts to clip. DO NOT PLAY ANY HIGH GAIN MUSIC ON THIS. The most gain you can Drive this thing to is like an ac/dc sound. Anymore, it sounds horrible and wayy too computerized and basically bullshit. I usually play through this amp with my Epiphone Nighthawk and sometimes my Gibson LP studio. Very versatile amp, and cover anything but metal pretty well. Although it takes a lot of tweaking to get a moderately jazzy sound out of it. Otherwise, pretty nice.

Overall this is an alright buy for the money, pretty decent for someone who's starting out or doesn't want anything fancy. It's a versatile amp, covers alot of ground pretty well. If it got stolen or lost, I would be disappointed, but if someone stole my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, I would be absolutely devastated. I would probably end up buying something similar to this amp for practice and such. A couple of things I like about this amp is that its built well, and some presets sound close to an actual twin, or maybe a Vintage Marshall. What I don't like about this amp is that it has a whole wack of software and fx that I never really use. Also I wish that it would go into higher gain territories. Otherwise its a pretty good amp. If you think this is something you are looking for go check it out, definitely.

This amp is very durable. I have banged it against walls and dropped it numerous times without so much as a dent. This thing is built very solidly. This amp has never broken down on me and I can safely take it to a gig without a backup.

Ok, so this is a review on the Fender Mustang 2. It's a solid state amp with a 1x12 speaker and a crapload of built in effects and presets. 40w. I've had this amp for about half a year. I mainly use this amp for bedroom practice and jamming with a drummer and a bass. It's loud enough for both. Has a headphone jack for when I play early morning or late at night. Controls include a gain, gain volume, treble, bass, and master volume. Also has a modulation and a reverb/delay control. The presets are either garbage or pretty alright. I like using the Twin Reverb channel for my cleans, sounds great. I use the British rock channels for stuff like AC/DC, Gun N Roses, etc. The bassman and deluxe channels are ok, I don't really like them that much. The rest are shit. Never play through those. Overall though, this amp is alright and comes with some nice built in stuff.

dogsbrekky
    I bought this thing in late '12.. it is a lot of fun.. I mainly use the Supersonic setting with some modulation and reverb and add a DS-1 pedal to the rig... it does clip badly at HIGH GAIN and high volume but the cleans at mid volume are pretty okay..... I play a VN modded MIM Strat 2012 thru this and a PRS SE Bernie Marsden and my crappy Fender T Bucket 300CE..... the Strat in particular sounds good on many of the settings.. I have been tinkering with this for months and when I heard a mate put his digital fuzz pedal in front and get some reasonable Jimmy H tones I thought this is not too shabby I paid $179 for mine through MF and I have played the Mustang III and IV.... and compared those last week at Sam Ash in NYC while also trying an expensive Mesa, a few $1k type Fender tubes (Deville 410, the Vibrolux, Twin Reverb floor model) and some Peavey and a wondrous Blackstar Stage 60..... for low volumes this thing does okay but the cleans on the Deville were GREAT and the distorted on the Blackstar and Mesa kill anything Ive tried..... But given this amp is 1/5th the price (Minimum) of those other amps I would say for one with low funds for practice or for house effing around this is a solid 85/100 for VALUE