Mustang II review by Fender

Fender: Mustang II

I'm using a Fender Stratocaster with a Duncan HotRail Bridge, and recently an Ibanez S570MQM. It can get good distortion tones, but I found using a EHX Metal Muff pedal can get MUCH better sound. The distortion models on this amp are ok, they are SUPER heavy, but also very noisy, and unusable with single coils. The amp has a noise gate, if you turn it off, there is lots of hum, even with humbuckers. The cleans though are amazing. Being made by fender, this amp has many Fender models, all sounding great. I favor the Twin, and use my Metal Muff to get great thrash tones. The amp does not really distort at high volumes, but it has 3 controls for that. Gain, volume and master. Gain does as expected, makes it distort, the volume makes the amp Drive harder, and simulates a loud amp, master controls how much volume overall is coming out of your speaker.

This is good match for me, as pretty much any style of music. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but in the new Mustang V2 edition, same price and all, just more feature and updated everything. I love the USB recording, great feature for anybody to record and sound amazing! I also enjoy having many effects to use, just if I need them, but as I said, that is mainly if I'm recording. I've compared it to the Vox VT+, and Peavey Vypyr, but chose this. The Vypyr may be better for distorted tones all in one unit, BUT the Mustang's cleans are great, and with my distortion pedal, I can get the best distorted and clean tones from a modeling amplifier.

Definitely a reliable amp. I've never gigged with it, and its only left the house once, but it could survive a good bit of abuse. It does not have metal corner protectors though, which are always good to have, but anybody can add some if needed. The amp has never had any issues with me, being a reliable solid state piece of equipment, I don't think it ever will! Only problem was that the power input socket vibrates and makes a annoying loud sound if you hit a note and the amp rumbles, like the 7th fret on the low E. I fixed this with some poster putty.

My Mustang II amp was made in 2010 or 2011 I believe. It is a very versatile modeling amp. It can do good metal tones, to amazing cleans for any genre imaginable. I play metal, rock, grunge and other genres similar to those, this can cover all of them quite well. It has 2 switchable channels, accessible with a optional footswitch. It can hold 27 presets in the banks, 12 modulation effects, and 12 reverb and/or delay effects, all parameters can be modified from Fender fuse, and saved into an effect bank, allowing access without a PC. The amp has no effect loop, but it does have an AUX in, nice for drum loops/playing to mp3s, headphone out, and best of all, USB. This can connect you to a PC for Fender fuse, which gives you access to EVEN MORE stomp boxes, like fuzz, overdrive, and many extra types of delay/reverb, and lets you customize your sound more, with cab simulation and sag and bias knobs. It also gives you many more amp models to work with. USB also lets you record into a DAW for perfect line in quality, and in stereo sound for amazing depth with the stereo effects like delay, chorus, and leslie simulation. I find that I mostly use effects and other preset banks when recording. When I just play, I use a EHX Metal Muff for even better distortion tone on a good clean amp setting.

DubfromGA
    My son and I are just getting into learning guitar. We went to the music store and ordered a pair of guitars and played around with amps for a while. The sales guy was very helpful in getting us around all the features of the various models. Budget was a consideration since I'm having to buy two of everything. He took us through each of the models and we really were impressed. My son went nuts when the sales tech demoed the FUSE software and the various effects that could be utilized as well as the factory presets. It appealed to his love of all things pc-MAC related. It appealed to my wallet, too, as it gave us a plethora of sounds to tinker with an keep the learning process fun. I bought us two of these Mustangs v.2.....a III and another II for his bedroom.There may very well come a day that one or both of us really improve our skills and lust for new gear.....axes, tube amps, pedals and such.....but for now I feel like we nailed the PERFECT amps for us to begin and grow with.
    skillet10
    I love the mustang for its versatality. But Im having issues,with the gain. I play metal that requires a lot of gain, but then I get so much unwanted sensitivity. I was wondering if anyone knew or made a channel with high gain, but low sensitivity.
    JimiJames42
    Go Roland, I just traded my Mustang for a guitar, brittle sounding amp, I'm sticking with my Orange Tiny Terror and pedals for gigging, Roland Cube 30 for practice.
    INSULIN
    whish I could find the dam abelton live lite thighy dam places I go to find it is not the real site or etc etc