Mustang III review by Fender

Fender: Mustang III

Purchased from: Bill's Music, Peabody MA

I play heavy metal, modern and classic, mostly. This amp does ok with those tones but the Peavey Vyper is far superior (the hybrid tube 60 Vyper in particular). Line 6 Spider 1V is not even in the ballpark. I bought this for clean tones/vintage tones/Fender amps selection for recording. Haven't tried the USB recording/want to mic it. Fantastic job on the Fender Amp models. Wow! I haven't used a lot of effects yet but the tremolo is the best so far. Using the high gain models sometimes the gate even at max wouldn't gate down fast enough when stopping. The EQ sections are weak and don't respond sensitively enough on the top dials on the amp or in FUSE software. Some of the effects sound rather digital (as they are), I know. I also couldn't get enough treble and presence on some of the higher gain presets so it was nice to have the EQ loop. Hate that blanket over speaker thing and this had some of that on the distortion presets. Now, the Fender amp models sound fantastic and very passable for recording when mic'd. Can't wait to do this. I don't like my tele but I will tele you that it sounds superb with the cleans and overdrive tones on this amp model. I am glad I didn't sell my tele. My strat sounds great too. My humbuckers sound ok and my EMG actives at drop A tuning sound passable enough for home practice. Gonna continue to use my Vyper Tube 60, or use my PODHD desktop for metal tones with my power amp and 4x12 V30 cab. For clean and overdriven tones though this is the way to go. Blues, Country, Pop, Rock and Roll. You can't beat the modeling. For 300 dollars I'm not complaining. Just trying to be informative to other people. Having owned or currently own most of today's modeling tecnologies from various companies. No speaker change necessary for a change. It's tweakable for sure and there is lots to play with effect wise.

Would have loved some better high gain options a more responsive gate but I realize this isn't Fender's thing. I wasn't overly impressed with the Super-Sonic model for high gain. The EQ response could use some work. No complaints here, just trying to be honest. If you play single coils, tele, strat, country, blues, jazz, pop, rock and roll, classic rock (humbuckers) then this amp is for you. Metalers, look to Peavey's tube model Vyper's for a more than fair price and Killer tone.

I feel I can rely on this amp in my current use for it. Recording. I haven't used this amp long enough to know if it is reliable but I have read some issues with a very fizzy note response on some of these mustang amps. Don't know if it has been resolved but I just read it last week? July, 11. Mine seems ok so.

The effects loop is a definite plus. For distortion (not overdrive) sounds you will need an EQ in the loop to get satisfactory modern metal with the American 90's amp model. The amp is very easy to tweak at the amp itself with the digital display and it looks fantastic. The fuse software on my new MacBook Pro works fantastic. No issues. Great GUI too. Nice selection of effects and amp models. The speaker is a fantastic speaker. I was shocked they put it in this for the price of the amp. Thanks Fender! It has a Celestion G12T-100. Great speaker for all around tones/genres.

oliverf123
    I am deciding between the fender mustang 3 orvthe blackstar ht20 valve combo.i have done a lot of research which do you think i should go for?