Mustang III review by Fender

Fender: Mustang III

Price paid: € 280

Purchased from: Musicarte (Italy)

I'm using this amp with an American Special Stratocaster with JB. Jr. humbucking pickup on the bridge. It has 100 presets which you can customize (or create from scratch) directly from the amp or from the Fender Fuse PC software (very useful). Clean sounds are fantastic, so are crunches and distorsions. I think it's very well suited for all music genres except for the heaviest side of the metal. It has both Vintage and modern sounds... Some models are just jaw-dropping ("Two Champs in Stereo" and "60's Sparkle" are my favorites so far). The 12" speaker is sweet and so the headphone output. It's a 100w so it's loud enough to keep up with a band, but it's also very manageable at low volumes (I always play it at home at 2/2, 5 volume).

I play rock, classick rock, alternative, a bit of metal (Metallica, nothing heavier). It's a very good match for all this genres. I think if someone stole my amp, I would buy it again.

I never had a problem with this amp, but then again, I bought it only 3 months ago.

This modeling amp was made in 2011, it is very versatile. I think it only suffers a bit with extreme hi-gain distorsions, for all the other stuff it's just awesome for its price.

rv_phoenix
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Tube or not, if the amp sounds good then it's a good amp. I hate it when people say that it's tube or it will sound like crap. But I believe that a good solid state amp can be as good as a good tube amp. Don't judge products before trying them. Digital modeling is not my thing (I want the amp to have one to three sounds that you can tweak instead of 50 different sounds) and I've not played through Mustang but if it's good then it's good. And it's everybody's own opinion.
    I agree there are quite a few good SS amps. But there's no way an SS amp could sound like an all-tube: it's not a matter of fanciness, it's a matter of physics. When saturated, transitors react completely different from tubes: they 'break' the sound, instead of making it round and mellow. SS amps lack harmonics when distorted and, generally, they sound 'colder' and more 'artificial' than all-tubes. Last but not least, they have a tendency of making every guitar sound the same, thus taming its character and own tonal virtues. That's why pros always use all-tubes. Of course, for bedroom practice it is better to choose an SS, unless you live alone in a manor 50 km away from any other form of human living. But I might suggest you some Vox, Marshall or Orange amps, all-tube and low-wattage, that are an ideal solution for your bedroom... Of course, in case you really care about your sound.
    MaggaraMarine
    rv_phoenix
    All digital modelling amps are sheer crap. There's NO WAY you can use them in pro records. Players would know why.
    Adamw001
    I've read that some people seem to be experiencing a 'fizzing' when using this amp? I'm considering buying this amp and am wondering if anyone here has had the problem?
    davidrf
    oliverf123 wrote: I am deciding between the fender mustang 3 orvthe blackstar ht20 valve combo.i have done a lot of research which do you think i should go for?
    They're completely different animals... it depends on what you need it for. I bought my Mustang III for practice/gigging with band/home. If you want to play at home, a valve amp may not be a good idea, since it needs hi-volumes to saturate the valves and get good distorsions.