Mustang III review by Fender

Fender: Mustang III

Price paid: C$ 280

Sound is what makes or brakes any amp. This amp can go from classic Fender clean to Mesa/Marshall dirty in a instant. Does it sound 100% like a Mesa or a Marshall tube amp? No it does not, only a Mesa sounds like a Mesa, and only a Marshall sounds like a Marshall. That being said for the average Joe (like me!), this amp sounds really really good. I own a triple rectifier, and have owned various Marshalls and I can safely say that it's really close to that sound/tone. I play PRS guitars (USA and SE models) and they sound GREAT! What I really like about this amp is that you can get that crunch while not having to turn the volume all the way up like on a tube amp. It sounds just as good at very low volume as it does at high volume. As for the clean settings, well, Fender has that pretty much mastered!

I like it, for $300.00, I don't think there is any other amp on the market that can even come close to it. You would basically need 3-4 amps and way too many pedals to come even close to this. I play hard rock, metal, blues and some pop and it does it all very well. Like I said before it's not a tube amp and therefore does not sound exactly like one, however I'm willing to bet that most people can't tell the difference. Good sound/tone is great whether it's tube or not.

I have used it to play live a few times, along with my Mesa. I have even used some of the dirty settings on it instead of the Mesa and it sound awesome! It does not have the same power as my half stack (or the cool look) but it has enough power to do the job! I do not play any clean settings on the Mesa anymore because the Fender is much sweeter clean then the Mesa. I never intended to add it to my live rig, I got it to play in my basement so as not do disturb my wife and child, but it's too versatile to pass up!

The amp is a 2011 model, has a 100 presets, 100w with a 12" Celestion. If you read the other reviews, you can see that there are more then enough features on this amp. It is a very versatile amp, and any way you look at it, you get a lot of bang for your buck! If you ask me, the best thing about this amp is the Fuse software, you can refine any setting as you wish.

G-Dog_666
    I went to a guitar store with my mate to try out some lower priced modelling amps a few weeks ago. He's very much a beginner, so I thought an amp that could do a bit of everything, be loud enough for small gigs and quiet enough for home use would be the best option. I recommended to him the Vox VT20+ and we tried that out. In store I wasn't actually that impressed. We then tried the Mustang II, and my god, that thing sounded excellent. We were using a mid range Fender Strat with what felt like really old strings, and the cleans were still unreal. I was then really surprised that the overdrive and distortion settings were great too. I'm a fan of tubes and all that, but this amp is the real deal. I've not heard such a clarity from an amp at such a low price. I don't need another amp and I'm thinking of buying one. If you're not a tube snob, you will appreciate the Mustang series.