Mustang IV (V.2) review by Fender

• Single Input
  • Left and Right Effects Loops
  • Stereo XLR Outputs
  • 4 Button, 3 mode footswitch included
  • Expression pedal (sold separately)
  • 2 Button footswitch (sold separately)
  • 3.5 mm Aux input
  • Middle
  • Bass
  • Reverb
  • Master
  • LCD display with full system interface
  • 100 User defined presets
  • 17 different amp models
  • 11 different stomp effects
  • 14 different modulation effects
  • 9 different delay effects
  • 10 different reverb effects

This amp is able to make even me sound great! The clean tones that this amp produces are extremely clean and bright just as you would expect from anything Fender. That said, it does a fine job of modeling other brands including Silvertone, Marshall, Peavey, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Orange...

I keep my master volume between 1 and 2 in my study and I am able to adjust the gain and volume as necessary to get that sweet overdrive sound, and not make my ears bleed.

The presets come preloaded with some nice useful tones as well as some weird sounding ones that I do not associate with music. I'm not as good at math as I used to be, but I believe the total number of combinations of amp/effects to be approximately 235,000.
That doesn't count the individual adjustments to each effect/amp etc.

The amp can only hold 100 presets, but when plugged into your computer, you can create and store all your favorite tones there using the Fender Fuse software, and recall them to your amp prior to leaving the house. That means you can have a setting for every song in your repertoire at your fingertips! What's more is that you do not need to be connected to your computer to modify and store the settings you already have in your amp memory.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it's a labor of love (not to mention a ton of fun). You can also sign in to the Fuse community and download other peoples settings if you like.

This isn't a tube amp. It is a solid state modeling amp. Make no mistake. But, it does do a fantastic job of mimicking some of the old style Fender Tweed and Blackface amps. Probably a 95% match. It sounds and feels very much like the real thing. Probably not close enough if you're a hard-core tube lover, but for the rest of us it'll do just fine.

Here's some more math... If you purchase 17 amps that cost $1,000 each, and 46 different pedals at $100 each you would be looking at over $20,000 in equipment, thousands of pounds of stuff filling up a large room, cords galore, tube replacements, etc. If you could purchase a single dependable high-quality amp to do all the same stuff, weigh less than 50 pounds, and sound almost exactly like the others, all for under $500, why the heck wouldn't you?

There are a lot of Tube guys who may tell you differently, but a good sound is a good sound no matter where it comes from. The days of crappy solid state amps is no more. You just have to give it a try with an open mind.

Below is a list of the amps modeled by this amp:

• Peavey 5150
  • 1957 Fender Twin
  • 1957 Fender Deluxe
  • 1957 Fender Champ
  • Studio Pre-amp

This amp seems very durable. I'm sure gigging is rough on equipment, but I believe the construction of this amp would be up to the task. The knobs are of a good-quality plastic and the soft keys have a rubbery texture instead of plastic. The buttons and LCD screen are backlit so you can see them in the dark. The aux, headphone and USB plugs feel a little wimpy, so I would use caution not to bump them when something is plugged into them.

The instrument input jack seems solid, as does the foot switch, effects loops and XLR outputs. The back is open and there are exposed speaker wires that could potentially get accidentally hooked on something. The lifting handle can certainly carry the weight of this amp. The 4-button foot pedal casing appears to be made from a high quality galvanized steel, and the buttons are stainless steel.

I am a hobbyist player. I normally play in my study without an audience. I enjoy playing country, blues, classic rock, soft rock. My favorite bands include Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles. I don't own any guitars over $500, so I can't see spending any more than that on an amp. I normally play my Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro and my Epiphone Dot and they both sound great on this amp, which was an upgrade from my Vox VT20X which I still have and enjoy.

I was torn between the Mustangs and the Champion amps. After months of testing, shopping, and research, I'm glad I chose the Mustang. Additionally, the Mustang III is a fine amp, but the stereo effects coming through the two speakers in a Mustang IV is very nice, and the size is quite imposing. The amp looks like a million dollars. The silver-thread grill cloth and script logo are reminiscent of the classic "Blackface" Fenders of old.

This is definitely more amp than I will ever need. But if you want a quality machine that gives you access to so many classic sounds, customizable to your personal liking that you could be replaced for the cost of a handful of tubes, this one is definitely worth a closer look!

chcantos
    Parksdadidsw, your comment seems a bit negative, or can you explain what a better plug and play amp would be as a minimum time is always required to adjust the settings on any amp, wouldn'it ?
    parksdavidw
    I have a Mustang I and a Mustang IV (both V2). If you need a plug in and play amp, buy something else. If you are willing to spend the time setting up a Mustang and getting your presets dialed in, you will soon find a Mustang is your favorite amp. Their versatility is amazing.
    KBI2113
    Ummm pardon me if I'm wrong, but the Mustang V2 line has been out for over 2 years now. The YouTube video is even from 2014. Why is a review for it just now being written? And it says in the 'features' section "Manufactured in China in 2016" I have a Mustang III V2 and absolutely love it.
    jhaynes2
    My guess as to why this is the first Mustang 4 V2 review, is that the other reviewers bundled their reviews in with the old "V.1" version of the amp. Not sure about the differences in the V.1 and V.2. The UG staff attached the video. I don't think the V2's changed at all since 2014 other than maybe a firmware update, so the 2014 video is probably still accurate. I listed the date/location of manufacture in the features because when you are filling out the UG review form its one of the things they recommend listing. I agree that it's more "information" than a "feature". The Mustangs are amazing amps!
    KBI2113
    Good notes. And totally agree. Love these amps! For the price you pay for them, they do a ton of awesome things.