Mustang V 412 Cabinet review by Fender

Fender: Mustang V 412 Cabinet

Purchased from: Guitar Center/Danny Rays Music

I run my modded Ibanez GIO and Fender Telecaster Deluxe 72' reissue through this amp and both sound GREAT! After about 15 minutes of tweaking some of the factory settings and it sounds real awesome. There are a variety of clean and distortion settings. The clean channel(s) sound crisp and clear even at max volume. The distortion setting is one I created on the amp and it's f--king brutal! Another great thing about this amp is its sounds at volume level 1-2, it doesn't sound weak or dummed down, sounds great.

With my style this amp is perfect, I'm sure it could fit the needs of any type of electric player. This is a good amp and I could honestly say that it could go head to head with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. I've been playing since I was 13 so, 7 years. I own this amp, my modded Ibanez GIO and my Fender Tele Deluxe, a Line 6 Spider III. I am completely satisfied with this amp and I'm sure it will be with me for many years to come. The only thing I have an issue with is the channel changer it came with, it's not very useful when switching between channel 50 to channel 59 due to the fact that you can only move one channel at a time. Other than that I love this amp!

I purchased this amp to replace my Line 6 Spider III. I use this and only this amp whenever I play a show, small or large. The cab is currently having some issues, but that's due to my craming it into the trunk of my Civic every day. I'm sure it's just the cable on one of the speakers.

This is the latest amp in the Mustang line, I'm not sure, but I think it came out in 2011. This amp is pretty versatile, it comes preloaded with 99 settings. I play blues, jazz, metal, punk, and a lot of other things. It comes with a channel changer and has a nifty headphone jack. This amp is very user friendly. I can't honestly say I have or will ever use all of the effects. At the moment I actively use probably 10 of them at the most. The cab delivers a lot of punch and power, it was loud enough for my 5 piece punk band with the volume only of 5-7.

rob904
    No it couldn't.
    jetwash69
    I haven't bothered with the Mustang half-stack, but I'm pretty familiar with the Mustang II and the Mustang III. Not really biased. I have a couple of real Fenders, plus a Squier, but also a couple of Ibanezes and a Schecter. Also several Digitech MFX pedals, a VOX amp, and 2 Marshall amps (1 shit MG and 1 flagship tube amp half-stack). The Mustang II is all you'd ever need volume-wise because if you need more you can mic it. I know gigging professionals who use them on stage and they hold their own playing among loud drums, basses, keyboards, and other guitars through 80 watt tube amps. Cuts throught the mix and sounds better than the Fender tube tweed amp one of the guys has. The Mustang III is way louder than you'd ever need and it is easier to control. The control issue is the only way to really justify it over the Mustang II. OK, so halfstacks might look cool, but IMHO the Mustang halfstack doesn't. So I don't see the point; just save a lot of $$$ and get the Mustang III. And no, the Mustang isn't quite at the level of a Boogie. Maybe 80% though, and at 1/4 of the price it might be good enough.
    von gelb
    Indeed, it couldn't...
    jameseubanks23
    I've had the FM 412 for about 6 months now. It feels like the honeymoon is still on! Yes, indeed! I play through several presets, clean to dirty. Some presets are mediocre, while others are as good as it gets. Not joking at all. The Vox and 65' Fender twin are amazing! Originally, I was looking for a trailor cab for my Fender hot rod deluxe. However, the music store had a sale ($400 for head and cab), and after playing the stack couldn't say no. I have a lot of nice EHQ and TC pedals that have stayed on the sideline since this purchase. Just use the looper and tuner pedals connected to the head. Gibson and Fender guitars sound killer through the FM V. I play blues, funk, jazz, reggae and eclectic stuff. If I had recommendations: 1) more than one input, 2) access to back panel of cab, and 3) better ambient effect pedal. For the price, there's no better though!
    Tyler.Durdan.39
    If you're on a tight budget and want an amp that can compete with the big boys.. Marshall being over-rated in my opinion anyway. I've been playing long enough to know. Then this amp will deliver all your needs. I first was running through a Marshall 300 watt cab. But picked up the mustang cab.. wow. . Night and day.. nice tight lows and screaming highs. Ya would have loved a mesa boogie.. but just couldn't justify 3 grand. And I just threw my line 6 in the garbage.. they may have lead the way in modeling amps. . But Fender just passed them and left them for dead. Mustang is a great bang for your buck
    LeakyFlask
    The earlier Mustang models are pretty good practice amps, but if they haven't tweaked the DSP in any way, it really doesn't deserve a half stack.
    NeXEkho
    Looks like it's actually a digital amp and it's also $299 from what I can see.
    grungelive72
    von gelb wrote: This is a good amp and I could honestly say that it could go head to head with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. No it couldn't. Indeed, it couldn't...
    Indeed it couldn't. I'm saying this as a man with over a grand worth of Fender products, Fender is nowhere near as good as Mesa Boogie for metal/hard rock.
    MattCox12345
    I have a mustang 1 and I want to buy this cabinet, if I connect it to the cabinet with an auxillary cable with a 1/4 jack at the end from the headphone jack to the 1/4 on the cabinet will it work? Will it only sound louder, or will it affect my eq settings
    wizardofozzy68
    I also have a Mustang I for practicing. It's a pretty decent practice amp. However, using it in the way that you are describing is impossible. The headphone jack is 1/8", not 1/4". Also, it is intended to be used with headphones, not plugged into a cabinet. Running a cable from your amp to an extension cabinet will work about as well as plugging an iPod into an extension cabinet. Do not buy this extension cabinet if that is how you intend on using it. HOWEVER... If you were to run the headphone out through something like a PA head to amplify the sound without coloring it... I have conducted this experiment just for shits and giggles with only slightly satisfying results. (It gets loud but sounds heavily processed.) I'm ashamed to admit that I once used this set up at a gig in a pinch when I was a little younger and first starting out... It quickly gets lost in the mix.
    dogsbrekky
    Does the wah wah on the Mustang III IV and V sound reasonable.. I have a Mustang II and was gonna buy a Dunlop Cry baBY Classic but as I need another amp was going to do the Mustang V stack set up
    Cobracoat
    I notice everyone running their Mustang through the 412 cab. It seems to me you would get little to no stereo effect with all your speakers in one cabinet, just inches apart. I want to run my Ric 360 through the Mustang to two of the SC112 cabinets with separation between them. I would expect good stereo sound from that rig. The 12" cabs are rated to 80 watts at 8 ohms. The Mustang is rated 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms. It looks like the perfect setup. Has anyone tried this rig or anything similar??
    Mufassa
    i think im interested in getting the mustang V after doing a bit of research.. don't really need it but it looks interesting.. I have two early 70's 2X12's, so perhaps i can get some good stereo separation