Princeton 650 review by Fender

Fender: Princeton 650

Purchased from: Sam Ash

The guitar styles that I use the Princeton 650 for ranges, but typically revolves around punk rock (Bad Religion, Pennywise, Social Distortion, etc). A lot of other times I'll play grunge like Nirvana. Sometimes I'll play reggae (Bob Marley), and funk rock like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It works well with those types as well. The reverb, and chorus effects fit my punk rock style of music. The amp can be made noisy, but does not require noisiness to sound fantastic (you can put it on max volume, or level two volume and it will sound alike). It can be made noisy on any setting. The clean channel never distorts when it reaches high volumes, no matter what setting it's in. The amp can make sounds like the ones found in "Come As You Are", and can fade out. Other than my favorites, there are many other great effects. The brutality of the distortion depends entirely on what setting the drive is on.

As mentioned earlier, I play punk rock, and this amp matches every need perfectly from fading out, to reverb. I own two acoustic guitars, another amp, one electric guitar, and I have been playing for three years (I'm only 12). The people at SamAsh were friendly and told me everything I needed to know about this amp (you can demo it). I would never buy another amplifier until (if) I become a member of a major band, and are performing for twenty-thousand people. I would always keep my Princeton 650 amp, and because of its durability, I most likely won't have to buy another one. I love everything about from the features, to the effects, to all the timbres, and even the durability. I've compared this amplifier with smaller Fender amps, and a couple Crate amps. I've tried another giant Fender amp, and this one still wins. This is my idea of a perfected amp.

The Fender Princeton 650 is a very dependable amp, and I would definitely use it in a gig with no backup. You can kick it over, jump on it, whatever, but it won't break. It has never broken down under any circumstance.

The Fender Princeton 650 is a fairly new amplifier with multiple unique features. There are two channels, normal and drive. The amp is quiet enough for room practice, but can be made loud enough for a small concert. The effects are flat, bright, dark, deep, scoop, squawk, and can be set to sound like an acoustic guitar. You can set the FX level, and select the FX to reverb, chorus, flange, tremolo, vibe, and delay. They all provide excellent alteraion to the sound of the guitar. A tuner is built into the amp for convenience, and helps avoid the frustration of ripping your house apart looking for a tuner. The can come with an optional footswitch, and has a five year transferable warranty. I don't think that there is a headphone jack.

Klayy
    "I don't think that there is a headphone jack." Hm... maybe you should stop thinking and go look at the amp if the jack is there... Other than that, nice review, helpful. I dont plan to buy an amp anytime soon, but it is a good thing to know about different amps.