Princeton 65 DSP review by Fender

Fender: Princeton 65 DSP

Purchased from: Music shop somewhere in devon

Well, I am using a Fender Standard Stratocaster with stock single coils in it, and I can get some quite useable tones. I play mainly rock and punk, but I also play some blues-rock to. It covers all the bases, but it really doesn't seem to be able to give me a decent crunch tone, though this isn't really a major issue for me, it may be for others. Other than that, it is quite a versatile amplifier. It is noisy, I have to use a noise gate with it because I can't stand that hum, but this may be a result of using single coil pickups. The clean channel is fabulous and doesn't distort until about 8 or 9 volume. The distortion channel is sweet, it really is. I don't like marshalls as I believe they are a little gain-heavy and this amp really does have decent distortion, I would just like it to be slightly brighter and warmer, which is why I give it an 8.

I really do like this amp, quiet enough to be used in the house (though my parents would certainly disagree) and definitly loud enough to gig with. The logo on the front helps alot as I am a Fender man through and through. I have been playing 4 years now, and I own a Fender Standard Stratocaster and a Zoom G2, quite a simple set-up really. If it was lost or stolen I would probably buy it again, or if I had enough cash, the stage 1200, the 120 watt version of this with wheels and a footswitch, purely because it would allow me to have more eq options (it has 4 band EQ) and even more power (not that this baby doesn't). I also really love this amp, because it has a setting on it to really beef up my single coils. With this, whey have enough beef to put a herd of cows to shame. I love this amplifier, and would strongly advise you to purchace one.

I would depend on it at a gig, as I have never had any problems before. The fact that I don't have another amp big enough would also play a part, as I have no choice but to use it. However, I really like this amp, and I know it wouldn't let me down.

This amp is a 2005 model. I bought it pretty much as soon as it came out. I hadn't even heard of it before I played it in the music shop, I plugged it in and needless to say, I was hooked. It has great tone, a very useable onboard effects machine and even a tuner, which proves very handy. It has line in, line out and effects loop jacks but unsurprisingly no headphones socket, much to the distress of my parents! It has two channels, clean and distorted. On the effects machine it has chorus, reverb, flange, tremelo, vibrato and delay. These all prove very decent and useable. It is perfectly loud enough (65 watts) to compete with an unmiced drum kit at half volume. It is also loud enough for small gigs (school halls, etc). It has a 3 band eq on the dirty channel and a 2 band on the clean channel. My only gripe with the thing is that it isn't tube, but it sounds so good, I dont really care, oh and the fact that it doesn't come with a footswitch, and those Fender footswitches are really hard to find to work with this model.