Ramparte Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/14/2015 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Ramparte
Fender Ramparte guitar amp is a 9 watt tube amp from the Pawn Shop series. Just like a used gem you might find in a Pawn Shop, the Ramparte has true character and a unique look and sound.
 9.5

- Individual Volume controls 1~9 and 1~16 (spinal-tap anyone);
- Individual channel Sockets, Power Switch, Extension Speaker Socket;
- Power Cord and fuse, Retro styling with strokibal fabric;
- Uses 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and single 6L6 power tube;
- Solid state rectification.

I was never able to unbox my amp as it was the last one on the floor of the shop. Oh the owners manual one safety page and one page of information (big print) there. // 10

Sound: It sounds like a typical class A tube amplifier, although the Clean channel is voiced like a typical fenderish clean it is a dirty clean. Then Hot channel has a more gain and more of a mid boost hump in its voicing, the more volume on the control dials the louder and eventually more dirt in each Chanel the clean is like a 5 watt Fender Champ on steroids for what I play rock, blues it gets the job done the volume levels are LOUD LOUD LOUD when breakup is achieved not the type of thing one should use in a bed room. That being said a Fuzz pedal sounds good at lower volumes in said bed room.

The guitar controls and how you touch the guitar how much you dig in and or are light on the strings all make a big difference even where you pick on the stings. Different guitars have there own voice. Its like I fell in love with my 5 way and tone and volume controls on the guitar. Oh and did I say LOUD. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As for the long team I cant say the box looks like it was made from plywood and chipboard, and with a fabric coating who knows how long it will last, everything feels nice and well put together but I have only had the amp for a week or so so time will tell. But it's type of amp meant to be kept in one place like a peace of nice furniture. The vintage style hand strap feels solid, and the weight of the amp is quite hefty but not too bulky. This amp has been on the shop floor they tell me the thing cranked is very entertaining, and has had a bit of use! (yeay broken in). As the amp uses like most modern amps. It uses a IEC connector for the power cord but as the voltage is set for 240V 50hz It wont be leaving the country. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I'm not a black metal guy think more AC/DC, ZZ Top, blues rock thing it gets me the sounds I want which may not be your cup of tea but suites me down to the "E" string. Now I'm sure some want tone controls and master volume but I use the controls on my guitar a lot and the thing is so touch sensitive, I use picks and fingers individually and hybrid it just works. I was going to build a amp like this but for the price I can't build one for this price with the parts available in my country New Zealand I have had to estimate the price in AUD but suffice to say they sell for $799 new (NZD) with the boxing day sale and the reduced price I got a nice price reduction that I'm happy with. Oh each channel is and can run at same time two guitars or a A-B/Y switch. I'm not sure where the buzzing dull sounds that some other reviews complain of. As for the looks the wife loves it but she loves my Vox Pathfinder 15R looks too. The difference is this one is one you want to touch and stroke it has that classic retro look the plastic (2 head eagle) does look cheep up close but that is a small thing and for its price point I would not complain. // 10

Comments