Roc Pro 700 Review

3,132
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Roc Pro 700 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on january 15, 2015

Purchased from: Trade

Features: Mine is a 1996 USA model which I believe was manufactured in Corona, CA. It is a 70 watt solid state/tube hybrid combo amp with enough power and punch for small to medium sized club gigs. It has one input for a guitar and a clean channel with Volume, Treble, Mid, and Bass. The Gain channel features Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Volume, and Reverb and there also is a footswitch input with a line out one which is located in the back of the amp along with a input for send & return and also a power level switch. It has a Eminence designed Fender 12" speaker with a Metal Grille front covering and a 12AX7/ECC83 tube built right into the preamp on the gain channel. // 10

Sound: This amp has some great tone and sound to it. The gain is probably the best that I've ever heard out of any Fender amp in my 43 years of playing guitar. The reverb is very lush and the volume is as usual for a Fender, very powerful. The 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tube allows for the Gain to be used in different genres of music ranging from Blues to full blown heavy metal which is very rare for a Fender combo. As usual the clean on this is just simply amazing and has that classic Fender tone which guitarists everywhere have grown to love. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I got this in a trade about 3 months ago and I just retubed it last week with a brand new JJ preamp tube only because, the person I got it from did not inform me if the tube which was inside was the original or not. I didn't want to take any chances so I ended up changing it and guess what? The original Fender tube was still in there going string since it was built way back in 1996. That just goes to show that this is one amp that is very durable and will last, with proper care of course, a lifetime. I have used it several times at band practice and have no doubt it will hold up at any gig I do with my band. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is that, this is one of Fender's highly underrated gems. They were only built from 1996-2001 and IMO, should be re-issued providing they are built in the USA and using the original specs of course. I heard that for a time in the late 1990's Yngwie Malmsteen used these along with the Roc Pro 1000 in the studio. This is IMO, one very versatile amp and if you see one, scoop it up. They're not selling for that much on the used market and are a great deal. They did come with a 2 button footswitch which was labeled "Channel & Reverb" and these are very hard to find, so if you can get one on eBay to match the amp, more power to you. A friend of mine bought a Special 112 from 1999 which happened to have the same footswitch and since he uses effects, he gave it to me, so lucky me. // 10

Comments