SP-10 review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Fender: SP-10

Purchased from: Forsyths

I find this amp is OK on the clean setting and offers a little flexibility but only in terms of altering the treble and bass which you can do on any amp really... I absolutely hate the overdrive setting on this amp, it sounds very tinny and weak no matter what you set it to and if you put the bass too high it sounds very muffled and lacks distinction. If used with an effects pedal then the amp does sound reasonably good, it can be cranked up high and is pretty loud for a little 10 watter, mine never goes over "2" on the volume. I wouldn't recommend the amp for a particular style as it is just a standard practise amp and not meant for gigging etc. Just use some effects and it will sound like however you need it to.

Overall it's just a standard practise amp, nothing special yet nothing to complain about other than the useless overdrive. I have been playing through my SP-10 for 6 years now and it is still going strong so I have to give it credit for going so long. I mean obviously if it were nicked I wouldn't buy another one because it came with my guitar I didn't have to pay for it, I would just save up and buy a bigger better amp. If you are looking for a really cheap, basic practise amp then you could get yourself an SP-10 and probably get change for 30.00 then again you would probably be better off saving for something with more features and higher quality distortion.

The construction seems fairly solid and the knobs have never come loose or fallen off. it's just a usual wooden amp with that black textured stuff stuck over it. Like I said above, it is only a practise amp and never meant to be gigged so I would never use it for a Live performance unless I wanted to look like a complete tit or something.

This is just a little 10 Watt practise amp that comes free with the Squier Stratocaster starter packs (at least it used to because now they seem to come with a Fender Frontman or something). Its features are very basic: 1 input, volume, treble, bass controls, clean / overdrive, headphone socket. Just what you would expect from an amp that costs around 30 or something.

padgea7x
    ahh my school has this amp i hate using it the overdrive just sounds like someone dying.....or maybe that was the singers singing..maybe both i prefer using ( at school) one of the the crate amps....man they have some great tones but this amp is just a shame....i think beginners may think its useless but the clean is decent
    dyllan93
    i bought this from a family friend for $10. if it didn't sound like someone being strangled underwater it'd be a nice amp. good rock sound, bad feedback
    Gunbard
    This is just a basic practice amp. Overdrive sounds pretty terrible and clean is very flat sounding, but it's pretty good with a multi-effects pedal. However, you won't be able to get past 3 or 4 on the volume without horrible, horrible distortion.