Twin Reverb review by Fender

Fender: Twin Reverb

Price paid: C$ 950

I have several guitars I play through this thing...and I play almost every type of music out there. Because there is no built in OD/distortion you will need a diverse pedal board in order to get many different sounds from it. This amp is meant to achieve one thing: the perfect clean tone. Many famous guitarists including Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and the edge have said that the first step in getting the perfect guitar tone is a good clean sound to start with. This amp has such a beautiful ringing clean sound that every effect you use on top of it sounds world class. For jazz I just use the natural sound of the amp, no pedals. For blues I use a modded Ibanez ts9 to give the amp a little bite. For rock I use either my Boss ds-1 or my EHX little big muff, depending on what I'm playing. I don't use the vibrato very much, but the reverb is the best you will ever hear. Anywhere past 5 on the reverb and it sounds really "wet"...good for surf but not my taste. Personally I set the reverb at about 3 or 4 and get a beautiful warm echoing tone. This amp sounds best when you can really crank the volume...it's got TONS of clean headroom and the tone gets warmer and fuller the louder it gets. I give it a perfect 10 because it is the best clean setting I have ever heard in a guitar amp.

I will probably own this amp till I die. I love everything about this amp. With a Strat and a tubescreamer this amp sounds amazing. In my opinion I prefer the sound of a clean amp with high-end pedals than a marshall/mesa/peavey with built-in OD. If you are planning on buying one of these just try it out for yourself. I promise if you are looking for a good clean tone with plenty of volume and clean headroom you will fall in love with this amp.

Haven't gigged with it yet, but I am definitely going to. I just can't wait to be able to crank this thing. I would gig without a backup. This amp is really heavy so I'm guessing it would be pretty tough to break this thing. The only part you have to be careful of is the tube shield at the back. As long as you don't kick it or throw it out of a hotel window it should be fine.

To be clear, this review is for the 1965 Twin Reverb Reissue. This is part of Fender's "blackfaced" period all-tube amps. My amp was made in 2005. This amp is a meat and potatoes amp, you get two clean channels each with 3 bands EQ and a bright Switch, only one has tube-driver reverb and tremolo/vibrato. No built in overdrive (except natural breakup when you crank volume to 10, which you will probably never do unless your playing an arena show with no PA). It has a standby Switch, no FX loop, no headphone jack, and external speaker jack (to connect to an extension cab), and the only thing it came with was a Vintage style footswitch to turn on and off the reverb and vibrato.

RichClarke
    i'm getting one very soon. for 500 pounds, second hand. it's a 1981 model. can't wait!!! gonna put a ts9 through it with a wah wah, and some sort of rotary/chorus effect. *druells* and with a strat of course!
    Rhoads_1096
    I almost got one of these, it came down to A.Its too loud B.Its $100 more than an AC30 C.It has no master volume